Help

The Job Search

Who chooses people to interview?

>

NC5th

Who chooses people to interview?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here is my question: Is it the principal or HR or someone in the superintendent's office that chooses who they want to interview?

This is why I'm asking: I've been on 8 interviews. I am certified in elementary, although I have endorsements for Middle School Math and Middle School Science. I am working on a Master's Degree in Teaching Natural Science. I have two years of teaching experience, on in an inner city charter school (3rd grade) and one in a rural Title I school (5th grade).

Most of the interviews I've been getting have been for Middle School. The only experience I have teaching Middle School is through substitute teaching and some of my fieldwork. Almost every interview I've gone to, they say "We're a little bit concerned that you don't have Middle school experience." Then I don't get the job. One even gave me a second interview, and then went with someone who had middle school experience. He then told me he was sending all of my info. to the elementary schools (which is funny, because I checked and none of them have openings!)

How is it that these principals don't know these things ahead of time? Does someone just tell them who and when they'll be interviewing? Is this a problem with the principals or HR or what? I'm just tired of wasting my time, my gas, my money, etc., getting my hopes up all for nothing....

I have another interview in 3 hours, again for middle school. On the phone, I asked if she wanted me to bring a lesson plan or a sample lesson. She said, "Oh, you have teaching experience?" That is RIGHT ON my resume! How did she not know that? Is it even worth my time driving the two hours to get there? It's for 8th grade.. the highest grade I've ever taught is 5th. I'm just really getting frustrated!

My family and I moved out of state last year just so I could get a job, and now we're trying to move back to Michigan. I am literally living in my mom's basement, because I can't even tell the moving truck where to go if I don't know if/where I'll get a job. I have to tell my NC principal in one week whether or not I'm returning. It's crunch time, and I'm no further than I was two months ago! I've put on over 2000 miles on my car and spent thousands of dollars on flights, gas, stamps, ink, etc. and it may be all for nothing!?!?!?

I'm sorry this is so long. I'm just getting really frustrated... It's hard to remember that you're a great teacher when all you ever get is rejections....

NC5th is offline   Reply With Quote

Evergreen

Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where I live, in almost all the districts the principals have no say in who they interview. It all comes from HR, and how you get through there is a mystery!
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

kid_at_heart

Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my district all the hiring is done by principals. You apply to HR then you contact principals about openings and they schedule people for interviews. When they find someone they like they recommend you to HR and assuming all your credentials are in place, you are offered the position.

I'm sorry the search is so frustrating right now. Hopefully you will find something wonderful soon!
kid_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote

phelopham

Online Apps
Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district will not consider "walk-ins". They must submit a formal online application before the principal will call them for an interview. Even if we know who we want, the online app has to be submitted. Then our Principal's secretary pulls the appropriate applications from the online service and calls to set up appt. for interview.

We interview by panel at my school. We read over the printed version of the online app and develop some preconceived notions...experience on grade level, experience in content area if not on-specific grade level...then we interview. If we don't have anyone in particular in mind we may interview several which may take several days. We usually end the interview with "we will let you know soon.." or some version of that. Once the candidate leaves we discuss the applicant.

If we aren't "wow-ed" , then we do interview several and then pick who we think will be the best fit. Sometimes it does take a few days, but I must admit (I don't know for sure) but I don't believe that they call those who didn't get the job.

If we are all "wow-ed" by them, the principal usually calls them before they leave the parking lot to go talk to district admin. With the last math teacher we interviewed/hired, we were in the middle of the interview and the principal winked at me (I'm the dept. head)...I excused myself to go to the restroom, she followed. We both were estatic with the person's qualifications and personality. She went to call downtown to set up a HR meeting immediately, I took the applicant around to show her the campus (to see if she liked it). We we got back to the office, the principal offered her the job and sent her to Admin.

I don't know about them asking you random questions that are answered by reading your resume'. Perhaps they don't see the actual application/resume'...they just get a list of names from HR.
phelopham is offline   Reply With Quote

angelangst

Old 07-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are lucky to have interviews in MI. I never got a single call and moved to NC where I had several job offers. I think in MI they get to be really picky and take advantage of that. Best of luck.

angelangst is offline   Reply With Quote