Help

The Job Search

Question

>

beth1012

Question
Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This past year, I did a long term substitute position in Special Education as an In Class Support Teacher in 4th grade. I am duel certified in Elementary Education and Special Education. However, when I apply for general education positions, the interviewing panel wonders if I can handle teaching all subject areas. How would you answer this question during interviews.

beth1012 is offline   Reply With Quote

dreamjob

just a few ideas
Old 07-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am dual certified and always found it easier to get hired for special ed positions. You can later request a transfer into a general ed position. A friend of mine who does not want to teach spec ed would just not show she had the certification at all. To answer your question, you might say that team teaching allowed you to see how math or social studies was taught and very often that teacher let you lead the class. Say you feel completely comfortable handling the subjects, be positive.

Just a few ideas.
dreamjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Kristen

Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also certified in both. Did you do a student teaching in both areas? Mine was a double major and I had tons of practicums in general education. If you did that might be something to bring up in the interviews.

I did start by being a special education teacher and it was not easy to switch to general education. I loved special ed at first but after 6 years wanted to switch. It took me two more years until I was able to get a general education position. Being in district made getting a general education position much easier though.
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote