Help

The Job Search

Should I visit a school?

>

jet setter

Should I visit a school?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to get a job in elementary ed. and right now the competition is fierce. I have heard there are as many as 2,000 applications in with area districts. The way the hiring works in our area is the districts do a screening interview. Your score from that interview determines if you get to move on in the process. I know that my screenings went well and I have good comments on my application.
When there is a job opening I contact HR and let them know that I am interested, a list of interested candidates is then sent to the building principals and then the principals call for interviews.

Since my screenings in March I have not had a single interview. There is an opening in a district that I would love to get a job in. I worked as a para in the district at the end of the school year and during summer school so that is noted on my application and resume.

The opening has only been posted for a few days but I'm starting to get nervous about not getting a job for fall. The HR pages say to not contact principals about job openings but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. Should I drive past the school and if someone happens to be around drop in? I did not grow up in the area so I'm not really familiar with the schools to begin with so I thought this would be a good way to check out the building and possibly run into the principal. Would that be wrong? Do you think it would hurt my chance of getting the job?

jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilybug06

Yes go to the school
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was in your shoes until last week. I moved to a new state and was looking for a job. It is a small town so to get a teaching job in the city school district its basicly who you know. Well I didn't know anyone. So gas is expensive but I had to do it. I drove to all the schools in the city and I would go in dressed for an interview with my portfoilo and resume and I would ask for the principal. When the principal came out I said, "Hello, I am Sarah Allen I just moved here and I am a teacher. I was wondering if you had any postiions avaliable? Here is a copy of my resume. Then the principal would say, "Thank you I will call you when I set up more interviews or what not. If the principal is not there just say, "Thank you and come back later." If you leave it with someone other than the principal more than likely it will not get to them or it will be thrown away. I hope this helps. Like I said it worked for me. I was offered a job last week. They called me for an interview on June 30th. I went and then of course she said I will let you know next week. Well she called me the next day for the job. Good luck! If you need anything else or any questions just e mail me Missalteacher@yahoo.com
Lilybug06 is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It can't hurt to go to the schools. It shows gumption. I would be impressed if I were a principal and someone dropped in with a resume. I would keep the resume at the top of my pile.

Lottalove

I don't know...
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

if it said specifically NOT to contact the principals, I think that it could be trouble if it becomes known that you failed to follow directions.

Now again though, if you did some work at that particular school already, could you somehow contrive an excuse using that? Could you go in to the Principal under the guise of asking her/him to be a reference (perfectly normal request when applying for job) or getting pointers? If asked outright if you applied for opening, you could always tell the truth in a humorous way. "Yes--but I'm not allowed to talk about it" then take the conversation from there. [Or you could decide that since the principal initiated the conversation, it is fair game. ]
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Meekee

Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would say that you are new and would like some info and ask questions that wway it look s as if u r learning about a potential district. I t woul show me u r not just applyiing to apply. You are picky for who u will work for therefore take pride in your work!!

Meekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Rich

Rich

Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Where I sub districts do not start interviewing until after the posting has expired. The reason is to give teachers an opportunity to transfer into the position. So a third grade posting might end up being a 5th grade opening.

Could you ask the principal of the school where you worked as a para to contact the principal of the school where the opening to let them know of your interest?

K-T

visit
Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was job hunting last summer I went to the schools with open positions and introduced myself to the principals. The first one to interview me said He put me at the top of the list because I had taken the time to go to the school. He said not all principals like this, but he did. In the end, I got the job so it was well worth the visit.
K-T is offline   Reply With Quote