The Job Search

opinions please

>

nuttyme

nuttyme

opinions please
Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some advice. I did the dumbest thing and am afraid that I ruined my chances of getting a job in my hometown.
I have been working towards certification through alternative entry, and in order to be able to skip a class in teaching health and teaching art, I chose to demonstrate that I could teach by doing an integrated lesson for them. The last week of school, I talked the principal in to observing me teach a class, and I didn't do well at all. I hadn't had any practice, but felt like I could do well enough. When we talked about his evaluation with me, I asked him if he would consider me for a teacher's aid so I could get a year's practice. He said there were usually about a hundred applicants for those positions. (At this point, I'm thinking "Lord have mercy, what have I done?")
I keep beating myself up over this. I was just sooooo anxious to get a job. I know I can teach, but knowing he was evaluating me made me sooo nervous. Now he thinks I am a nut!
Can anyone give me any suggestions to how I can redeem myself in this situation? It just makes me sick. Thanks for any suggestions.

molly71

Subbing??
Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you thought about subbing in this district? This way the you will gain more experience and when you feel comfortable you can invite the principal in to observe you again. I know it isn't the same as a steady paycheck, but if you have your heart set on this district it may help.
molly71 is online now   Reply With Quote
nuttyme

nuttyme

subbing
Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have subbed once and was called again but couldn't. I have visited the schools and most of the subs are retired teachers. I will try again when school starts up. Thanks for the advice.

LiveLaughLove

Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ok, don't feel sick. It is kind of funny. I did the same thing at my first observation from a principal and my mentor. I had a read aloud I incorporated into one of my lessons and even though I had practiced, I stumbled over the words and could not control the things coming out of my mouth....kind of like of Bruce Almighty with the anchorman...You would have thought it was written in Chinese.

2 suggestions...

1. Sub as the posters above said. At my school teacher recs pull a lot of weight in who gets interviewed/hired. And when I have a sub, sometimes I can tell they made it by, other times I am upset, other times I think they did a phenomenal job and I will request that sub again. The more work they get, the more exposure....

2. Volunteer at the school you really want to work at. Same reason as above, it shows dedication, professionalism and you are doing it all without getting paid...a huge credit. Even if a position does not open up at the school you want, you could earn a principal rec.

Good Luck and I am sorry about your situation. I actually interviewed with my top pick school fresh out of college and she told me I was too green. She asked if I would volunteer with her summer school and then she would reevaluate, I did and was offered a 2nd grade job.

It is just a bump in the road. Get all your credentials in line and keep trying.
LiveLaughLove is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Volunteer
Old 07-14-2008, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Anyone who has taught would have to know you were nervous.

If it does comes down to you having any time during the week that you aren't working, you may volunteer on a steady basis. Even if you only give an hour a week, I'm sure they will be happy to use a certified teacher somewhere meaningful and it certainly would get your foot in the door. If that doesn't say "I want to work for your school", I don't know what else will.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
nuttyme

nuttyme

thanks for advice!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I sure thank you guys for the advice and I sure will follow it. You made me feel much better.