Help

The Job Search

2nd Interview tomorrow!!

>

briteach

2nd Interview tomorrow!!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a great interview last Thursday at a small private school for 2nd grade. It seems to be the perfect fit- I've taught at that level before, I've used the same curriculum, and I have the same beliefs and values as the school. The principal SEEMED that she hadn't interviewed anyone else, but I don't know!!

In order to be hired, I need to meet with the school board and they offer the position. They also do an interview and ask a bunch of questions.

My questions...do principal's give more than one name to the school board at a time for the same position?

How can I stand out to a board of education??

Is it okay to wear the same suit as I did last Thursday?? I only have one...and I do know the principal will be at the board meeting as well...is that tacky??

briteach is offline   Reply With Quote

thing1thing2

Shine. .
Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wear the same suit. No, it's not tacky. Add a blouse/shirt this time if you feel self conscious or something.

Ask the board at least 2 questions of interest to you. You may use these examples if you like:

Why are you serving on this board?

How does your philosophy of educating young children fit into this program's goals?

As a board member, how do you support the school's mission?

These questions will help you stand out. Also, taking a portfolio with you will help you stand out. I am not sure if they give more than 1 name to the board.

Best of the best. Be confident and be blessed .
thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I taught up north, two candidates were recommended to the school board.

I would wear something different since the principal is going to be there. But that's just me and any excuse is a good excuse to shop!
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerteach34

Well...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not sure if there will be more than one person there, if it is an interview with the board, I would say yes, but if it is a meeting, I would say no. I know most schools must have board approval before offering someone a job.

Stand out by being positive, flexible and eager to learn. Make sure that you have your portfolio (just in case!) and any other things that you want to leave with them. When I interviewed, I always brought a folder with letters of recommendation, copies of my certifications and a little sample of work I have done. This way it is fresh in their minds. Also, some people make Powerpoing CDs to leave. I haven't but think it is an excellent idea.

I had to laugh when I read your last question... I went through the same thing when I was job searching! I wore a business style dress and put a cardigan over it. This way you are still professional, but not wearing the same outfit!

Hope this helps! Good Luck tomorrow!
cheerteach34 is offline   Reply With Quote