Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Help! Teaching the Alphabet

>

misscorey83

Help! Teaching the Alphabet
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new first year teacher in a Pre-K classroom. Some of my parents have been complaining because I have been teaching the letters of the alphabet out of order. I do this to tie in different themes and topics throughout the year. It was they way my cooperating teacher taught the letter in student teaching, but now I find my self (as I often do with parents) second guessing myself. Do you think it is too confusing to teach the letters out of order?

misscorey83 is offline   Reply With Quote

markey22

Done Both!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught the alphabet both ways. I taught it for four years going in order, but I have found it easier teaching in order of my themes. They seem to catch on quicker to the letters having something to associate with. I dont believe its more confusing for them this way. You just have to stick to what you believe is working for you. Dont let your parents rattle you! Good Luck to you!
markey22 is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

No I don't think so because
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

children need to be able to recognize the letters of the alphabet and the sounds that make out of order in order to show they understand the alphabetic principle in the process of learning to read.....the order in which the letters are taught is not as important as being able to identify, recognize and sound out the letters......
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsshknbns

I Agree
Old 03-22-2007, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with both the above posters. I teach the alphabet out of order according to my theme. I find it is easier for them remember a letter if they can associate it with something that we are doing.
mrsshknbns is offline   Reply With Quote

misscorey83

Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for your input it was very helpful. It's just nice to get the opinion of other professionals from time to time.

misscorey83 is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

out of order
Old 03-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Because B,C,D,E are easily confused because they sound the same plus Lowercase A,B,D look to similar. Plus you should be teaching cvc combinations so you can begin to make word families like "at" then beginning blending immediately so they can pick up the purpose of letters and the differences between letters and words.
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

judy

order of alphabet
Old 03-24-2007, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I cringe when I think of the way that we used to teach the children the alphabet.......I personally feel that the alphabet and sounds of the letters should be taught at the same time and that the letters should be taught by similiarities. I follow the OG order because it gives the children a multisensory and visual approach to each letter. If your parents are all concerned over the order of the letters, send home a sheet with your order on them and the reasons you choose to do it in that fashion.
judy is offline   Reply With Quote
rleach

rleach

Old 03-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Where I teach we teach the vowels first as they are so very important in learning how to read. These 5 letters are found in pretty much every word your young children will read.

SarahSLP

Old 04-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with you all. As a new teacher, I think it's hard to think of a quick reply when a parent questions your methods. But, it will become easier for you and I think the parents will appreciate what you're doing once you explain why it works.

Hey VannaTX, when I googled "no more lotw" wasn't it from your website?? It's okay to tell us it's your idea!
SarahSLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Lynnette

Lynnette

Teaching the alphabet
Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It is a good idea to teach the alphabet out of order. That way the children can not sing song it when identifying the letters. Also, it makes the alphabet more meaningful to them to go with your unit They are then prone to remember it better

Bronwyn

Bronwyn

oldie
Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been teaching for more years than I care to admit to, but never cease to be challenged bythoughts of am I doing it "right " or if I've done enough. Hence my look at this website.The latest programme I have used for 3 years now is an English programme called Jolly Phonics. It has an amazing programme of teaching the alphabet(not in order) and has amazing back up resources (songs, finger puppets, freizes, readers etc)