Help

The Job Search

I am so disappointed ,discouraged, and depre

>

Meekee

I am so disappointed ,discouraged, and depre
Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so disappointed ,discouraged, and depressed!Well, I went to check on the internet since I am so waiting for the call.I went on Friday and had an interview with the Super and a board member. They said we will call you if you get this position. WEll I looked on the website, obviously the position was filled since it is no longer ther e. What do I do I am just sitting here so sad and depressed.I am sobbing and do not know what to do.I am 32 years old and do not know what to do anymore.I am so disappointed, where do I go from here??I am sick and tired of gettng dressed and bringing copies resumes, refernces,etc...what is going on?What is wrong with me????AM i NOT LIKEABLE, OR QUALIFIED???pLEASE HELP ME i AM AT MY WORST AT THE MOMENT.iT IS NOT LIKE ME TO FEEL SO SAD AND DOWN.I am so sick of summer, sh*& I never ejoy them since I am looking for a job since that is a job in itself. Help with advice?I am at the end of my rope!!!

Meekee is offline   Reply With Quote

ILTeacher86

ILTeacher86

Don't worry...
Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't worry! It's okay to be upset and frustrated. The job market right now is crazy, and interview after interview with no luck is very discouraging. Don't take anything too personal. Many schools are looking for the "right fit" for their building or team, and it may have nothing to do with your experience, or knowledge, but rather how well you fit in with other faculty. It can be time consuming and very stressful to get all ready and prepped for interviews, be nervous, go through the whole process with no luck, but the right job will come along! The tough thing about teaching is that you feel rushed during the summer to secure a job by the start of the school year. Other jobs are not like that, you can start at pretty much any time of the year. I just interviewed this morning, the FIRST thing I have heard ALL summer. Many schools don't know what openings they have even now in the middle of June, and some aides/teachers wait til the last minute to decide to not come back, I've heard sometimes it's because they can use their insurance during the summer then. Keep your head up, you will find the perfect job for you

teacher4

Meekee
Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am praying for you today. There is nothing wrong with you or your qualifications. It is hard to get into some systems. Can you apply in a district close to you? Can you move?
Don't give up!!
Lord give Meekee hope and peace. Open a door of opportunity for her.

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

NC5th

I'm so sorry...

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Meekee,
I know how you feel. I just received a rejection from my 10th interview. I had to resign from my other job in North Carolina or face legal action for not resigning 30 days before the start of the school year. So, now I'm jobless, homeless, staying in my Mom's basement with my 6 year old and my 2 year old.

My husband is still working in NC, so I haven't seen him in almost 5 weeks. He just resigned from his job today, too. So, now we're both officially jobless. He's coming up with the moving truck in 1.5 weeks, and we still don't know where we're going to be.

All I can tell you is that Michigan is a tough job market... Obviously you know this... I graduated 5 years ago, and I still have never been able to find a PUBLIC school job in Michigan. I've interviewed at 28 schools over the course of that time. I've had several 2nd interviews, too. Trust me, it is not you. Most of the time principals have an idea of who they want to interview ahead of time.

I had an interview a few weeks ago for 5th grade, which I taught in North Carolina. I had to prepare a lesson plan using technology. I prepared a wonderful lesson with a powerpoint, interactive geometry manipulatives, extension activies, etc. It covered a core GLCE so I could show them that I was familiar with GLCEs and how to teach them. She interviewed me for an hour and a half. When she called me back finally, she told me that my interview had gone great, my lesson was excellent, and I had very strong skill, but that she had gone with someone who had previously taught in the district and had taken a leave of absence. Clearly, she knew she was going to hire this person ahead of time (she had to; when you take a leave of absence, you're guaranteed to have a job when you return). I was so upset that I had driven 3 1/2 hours to get there, spent days preparing this wonderful lesson, and spent an hour and a half talking with them, and then I never got the job!

I just got off the phone with my husband, and said almost exactly what you said, "I'm over it. I don't know how much more of this I can take." I really have no advice, just empathy. Anytime you need to vent, please know that we are here to listen.
NC5th is offline   Reply With Quote
ILTeacher86

ILTeacher86

Whoops!

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whoops! I meant that many school don't know all their openings even now in the middle of JULY!

Meekee

Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thanks for your words, it put a smile on my face.
Meekee is offline   Reply With Quote
jeyytex

jeyytex

Don't know
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't know what situation is better or worst, but I am also frustrated, anxious and kind of desperate. I have a contract with one particular district. After working in a specific school for two years, they told me that I can't continue working for that school. I was going to resign, but I didn't do it. Instead, I decided to send resumes not only to other schools in the same district, but also to other districts, but nobody has called me yet. I think I made a mistake by not resigning. I don't know. So, here I am, attached to one specific distric, but no school to go. I have excellent professional reference letters and 10 years of experience. Any advice on this?

teacher.kate

Me too!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am sorry you feel this way. You are not alone! I have been trying to get into public school for years. The last three years I taught at a private Catholic school, which had to let me go due to a significant drop in enrollment. (We're talking 315 down to 180).

I will tell you what I tell myself everyday: Everything in life happens for a reason. The right job IS out there for you and it WILL come. Keep applying and plugging away. Something will come along when you least expect it! Although I know it is very hard, keep positive! Good things will come to you! Good luck to you!
teacher.kate is offline   Reply With Quote

Bernski

Been there, done that...
Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Maybe they took the position down because they made their decision. The Principal that hired me took the position down from the website before I knew I had the job. Once they pull resumes and interview they have a pool of people to hire from and don't need more applicants.

I was in your shoes for the past couple of months. I went on 18 interviews. There were days I went on 3 interviews in a row. I took off days during the school year to go on an interview only to never hear back from them.

IT'S NOT YOU!!!!

Finding a job is complicated. All you can do is continue on and keep applying. I know that sounds like horrible advice but how do you know the next school won't hire you? It's possible!

Hang in there. I know it's difficult. Don't question yourself, question these schools who aren't hiring you!
Bernski is offline   Reply With Quote

doby88

Wow... you read my mind
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I too am in your shoe and many of the other posters shoes. I was laid off in June because of budget problems and am now in the market for a job. I had an interview on Monday and still it being Wednesday I haven't heard from the school. I'm not brave enough yet to call the school to find out what happen. Since the not knowing actually gives me comfort. I have definitely been through the times of wondering what I did that wasn't right. I even had family members asking what I'm doing wrong since I couldn't get a job. I have been reading books to basically keep me sane and occupied. Like one of the other posters said our job will come. It is out there waiting for us and when our time comes it will be ours. Hang In There!

BTW... I'm your age as well so I know the feeling of being in our age and not having a job. Just keeping on trucking ahead and we shall vent together on this board till we get good news.

doby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Letty

Letty

Jobs
Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't know where you are willing to move to or interview for that matter. I know that if you go to educationamerica.net you can find a listing of all of the states and then you will see the job openings in that state. Here in Texas there are some cities that have hundreds of job openings. I know in Florida there is a city that has hundreds of job openings. You might have to call or send your resume to these people or a CD of your work. Hope this helps.

JMonk

Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hang in there!! I know you are going through a hard time right now. Sending out resumes, going on interviews, getting hopes up... All I can tell you is to keep your chin up and hang in there...

Have you considered private schools?? I wanted to get back into the public school setting (worked three year in the past), but just recently been offered a job at a private school. Yes, the pay is less.. but its what I love to do... TEACH.

When do schools start where you live?? Are you on the sub list?? I know how discouraging it is, I've to have been in your shoes. I actually home schooled some kids last year, not being able to land a job.

The right place is out there... its all about timing. God has good plans for you, be positive and hold on.. You will find something soon!
JMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

JMonk

Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

For all you who have lost jobs recently, I am so sorry. I know how that feels.. I was let go a few years ago due to low numbers... I hope all of you the best. Chin up!!
JMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

MrChapp

Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm in Michigan too, so I feel your pain. Last summer I felt exactly like you do. I still don't have a teaching job, but I do have a part-time job in a public school and a part-time job at a tutoring center. So for me the financial pressure is not there like last year. But the wanting to teach is definitely there.

July is really bad. Keep in mind that (at least by me) most districts basically shut down in July. That's when the administrators take their summer vacation. Hiring won't start up again until August and in some districts continue into October. I had interviews in November last year!

Another thing to consider is that your frustration/anxiety may be seeping in to your interview. For me that was ABSOLUTELY the case. I have horrible anxiety and I would get so nervous at interviews that I stammered my way through most of them. For me the solution was to adjust medication I was already on. Looking for a job is extremely stressful. I'm not saying to necessarily go on medication (although there are some for situational anxiety), but maybe see a therapist who can help you with some stress-relieving exercise you can do to relax before an interview. You just sound REALLY overwhelmed in your post, and I know from experience that's the wrong frame of mind to be in when you're looking for a job.

Good luck! You are not alone!
MrChapp is offline   Reply With Quote

OZZY

Hang in there...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I was in your position for 3 summers in a row. I'll pass down advice I received from others on this web page: keep busy, Keep positive, exercise, pray and keep networking. The right position is there for you.
OZZY is offline   Reply With Quote

EnglishTchr

Hang on!! Don't give up!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It is ok to "vent" here, and we ALL understand. I have cried plenty of tears this summer over the same frustrations myself. I think this is why this site exists! It IS hard, and brutal, and demoralizing at times -- just going through all this rejection. Ditto on the feelings towards "summer".

We are here to help each other. That is the great thing about teachers, and why it is wonderful to be among us. Every single person who responds to your post really does care for you as a human being and values what you have to offer our children.

I am constantly working on the "staying positive" in spite of it all -- I HAVE to work at it. It is not easy, but with the moral support I get here it isn't quite as depressing.
EnglishTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

ccmom0203

I also agree with Ozzy...
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Keep busy, keep positive, exercise, pray and network. Don't make yourself crazy because it doesn't help you. I know it is hard to not think about it night and day- but you can't let it consume you!!
ccmom0203 is offline   Reply With Quote