Help

Gifted Education

We're going to see King Tut!

>

yesteach

We're going to see King Tut!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am soooo excited! The King Tut exhibit will be coming to Dallas in the fall, and I decided I had to take my students to this "once in a lifetime" event. I emailed yesterday to see if there was anyway we could do this field trip for next year, and today got the reply that it was approved... I'm confirming a date tomorrow.. and I can not WAIT!

My room is about to become Ancient Egypt for the first semester of school - we're gonna build pyramids and make mummies and learn all the Egyptian gods and learn to write in hieroglyphics.. I can't wait!!

I just can't stop smiling today...

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sounds like so much fun! I wish I lived close enough to go! Are you going to "mummify" a chicken too?
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

LSJ

Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You'll LOVE It! I saw it in Chicago a few years back. If its as crazy as it was in Chicago, you'll need to book your tickets WAY ahead of time. We bought ours a year in advance, so get your tickets now if you can. And if its in your budget, get the audio tour. Its WORTH the extra couple of bucks. Compeletly explains everything and has fun facts that the kids will love!

If its got the same set up as it did in Chicago (which I'm going to assume it does) you get to see an entire history of Tut's family before really getting to Tut. Its really intereasting! His mummy won't be there, though, and this may be something you'll want to let the kids know in advance, so they're not disapointed. (The mummy is in the Valley of Kings in his tomb).

You and your kids are going to have a FANTASTIC time! It was such an awesome experience.

If you have itunes run searches for podcasts, a lot of free podcasts (Like National Geographic and Discovery) have done podcasts (both video and audio) of Ancient Egypt and Mummies. If you have cable check for upcoming videos as well, they run something on Egypt at LEAST once a month. The kids'll love 'em!

Good luck and have a good time!

(OH! And P.S. they won't let you bring cameras into the exhibit so make sure to let the kids and their parents know about this a head of time. They will have photography books for sale at the gift shop but those always run about $30).
LSJ is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Thanks...
Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

for the advice. I'm ordering my personal tickets next week (I reserved a spot MONTHS ago for the presale that starts on Thursday). I'm going with a friend BEFORE I take the kids to see it.. (I have a feeling with them I won't see much except small children as I constantly count to make sure they're all in tow.. :-)

Also, I have 14 first graders next year... the museum allows one free adult for every ten kids.. but I"m thinking I may pay for a few extras so I can put the first graders in smaller groups... ??

I do have iTunes - I'll check for podcasts... last night I downloaded Steve Martin.. been singing "King Tut" all day.. (or am I the only one old enough to remember that song?? )

mkh

An amazing experience
Old 06-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There was an exhibit in Seattle in the 80's. What an amazing experience! ! I'm jealous. I would love to go again. Lucky kids.

mkh is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Chicken Mummies
Old 06-14-2008, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

OK.. I googled Chicken mummies and while this looks like a very cool idea... I wonder just how bad the smell is... ?? Most of the directions on the site I found say it takes about 6 weeks.. which would be perfect.. because we'll be in school for about 8 to 10 weeks before we get to go to the exhibit... so we'd have time...

My favorite bit was the chicken they named King Cluck-ankhamun

Elyse

Barbie Mummies
Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can pull off the same mummification process with Barbies and Ken's.
: )
Elyse is offline   Reply With Quote

michelb366

I found this site tonight...
Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As I was surfing around, I saw this link to King Tut and thought of you. It may be above your kids, but maybe of interest to you.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ng...ies/index.html
Michelle
michelb366 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjteacher

the fruity pharaoh
Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

google the fruity pharaoh for a version which uses orange and potato instead of chicken. However, a teacher here always does the chicken and it does not smell at all if done correctly.
jjteacher is offline   Reply With Quote