The Job Search

I Need Your Help!!!

>

nyteach517

nyteach517

I Need Your Help!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just went on an interview at a brand new charter school. They asked me to come back on Tuesday and teach a 15 minute demo lesson. It has to be for 1st/2nd grade and can be in any subject area. I was hoping that all of you might have some suggestions to get me started. I really want this!!!

tadlockrl

Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would go over the the top. Soething with motions or a little jingle. You will be doing it for adults but remember they will use this 15 min to judge how you will teach for the year.

idea: I might Have a letter on chart paper. Read the letter together. talk about the parts of the letter the heading (point to head), greeting (mouth) body (body), and closing (move hand like closing the door).

There are a million other things you could do.
tadlockrl is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hands-on math lesson using maniplutives. You could do addition using base 10 blocks. Use literature to engage the learners (Birds Go Flying ??) I am not sure if that is the right name but it is on addition and substraction. Do a lesson you are comfortable teaching. Good luck!!
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-19-2008, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would keep it VERY simple.

Do you have a big book? You could do a shared reading lesson with a big book (it doesn't have to be a big book, but they are so fun and kids love them!). Here's a lesson that could focus on prediction.

Here's what I do sometimes when I introduce a new big book during shared reading...I cover the big book with pieces of construction paper. I have kids come up one at a time and remove one piece of the construction paper. They get REALLY excited to do this (I teach first grade and I've done this in third grade). They like to see bits of the cover and try to guess what the title is, what the picture is, etc...During this we are talking about the book, making predictions, and they are excited! (this should talk less than 5 minutes)

Then after it's uncovered you can introduce the book, talk about the cover, and make predictions. At this time you can talk about what a prediction is, tell students they have been making predictions, and talk about how good readers make predictions as they read. (couple minutes)

Then read the book, and when you get to a few key parts, make predictions. Because you are limited to 15 minutes, I wouldn't write the predictions, I'd just talk about them, and you want a pretty simple book.

"Let's make a prediction...what do you think will happen next? What makes you think that? Good readers think about what they've already read to help make predictions." And then keep reading to see if the prediction was accurate (I don't like to say right or wrong because they aren't necessarily right or wrong).

At the end of your lesson, go back and review (this wraps it up) what a prediction is. Remind them that as they read to themselves they can make predictions about what will happen next in their books before they continue to read.

This seems like a long lesson, but with a short book I think you could keep it to about 15 minutes.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

You could do human graphs
Old 07-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

By having the kids be the bars of the bar graphs. They just line up on their bar:

Eye color--I assume you'd have blue, green and brown
Hair color
Shirt color
Shoes--sandals, sneakers, other

It's kinesthetic, it's easy. Just plan it out carefully if you do this. How will you mark the bars? How will you explain to the kids what they're supposed to do, and what the objective is? You need to make plain what the parts of the graph are--the x and y axes. I taught this to first graders, so I'm assuming these kids have this background knowledge. It might not hurt to check first.

Consider using an exit strategy very quickly--it's a high-yield strategy getting a lot of attention lately. For this age group, and given your time constraints, just ask them if they can tell you what they learned today. Call on 2 or 3 kids. Try really hard to call on pretty with-it kids. That can be hard to judge in 15 minutes, but it would help. If you employed an exit strategy, I think that would be noticed favorably.

maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote