Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 materials

>

LW

LW

Title 1 materials
Old 01-24-2006, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I teach Title 1 students grades 1 - 4. I don't have any teaching materials this year but I can order some for next year. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any good BSI series out that you would recommend? Thanks so much.

MrsM

Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi, LW! I have taught Title I for several years, trying to teach students from old basals and from trade paperbacks, but very often I crossed a line with the classroom teachers. If they wanted me to use a certain story to teach from, they felt I didn't do it right. We would sometimes both be teaching from the same paperbacks, and it caused hard feelings. Now I use Reading A-Z for my books, and it works out great for me. With a paid membership to the website (reasonable price) a member can download as many books as wanted. There are worksheets, lesson plans, and benchmarks to download too, with the regular membership. A higher level membership allows access to more poetry, readers theater scripts, and other features I don't remember right now (because we have the regular membership). You can go to the website (www.readinga-z.com) and take a tour and print off some sample books. There is a lot of copying and folding to have the books you need, but I do it all at once. Also, I personally bought a paper-folding machine so it goes more quickly. I think the regular membership was $75 per year (all the books you want!) and the machine was under $200 on eBay. You can very easily spend $250 on books and not have enough to cover the levels you need.

The books are levelled from A to Z, and there is a chart telling how their levels compare with DRA and Guided Reading levels. I usually download 2nd and 3rd grade level books, and there can be 20 titles at each level to choose from. The mix is heavier on the non-fiction side. I have three of those 6-drawer cardboard organizers and keep the books in there, rubber-banded by title, each drawer holding all titles that I have of one level.

In my room, after a student has read 3 of these books, I allow the student to choose one to keep. Their eyes get wide when I turn the book over to the back and use a marker to write the student's name on it. I encourage them to take it home and read it to brother, sister, mom or dad, and they usually do. Early in the year, I get kids begging me to let them have every book, but then they settle down and start to choose very seriously which one is their free one. The books, being paper, might last through several kids reading them, but I never have to throw away old or torn books, they've gone home with kids.

When it's mid-year, I use the benchmark books to test the kids on their reading levels and give the results to the teachers. There are running record sheets for those books to download, but I write my own retelling sheet to check for comprehension.

I hope you check it out. I wouldn't want to go to any other system, now that I've done this for 3 years. Let me know if you have more questions.
Donna

Last edited by MrsM; 01-25-2006 at 09:30 AM..
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

more a-z comments
Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I whole heartedly agree with you, Donna! I have used this site for about 3 years. The first year I had a single membership; the past two years our principal bought a school subscription. We will not be renewing this year (we have a new principal who would like to see us use the money to purchase leveled readers from Rigby or Wright Group or some other publishing co). It can be expensive if you have teachers signed up then don't use it. I will probably go back to having a single membership; I may turn in the bill to PTO next year. Even if I pay for it, it would definitely be worth it.

Susan
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote
LW

LW

materials
Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much....I can't wait to look into the site!
kali

kali

tools
Old 02-04-2006, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Leveled Books- Multiple copies are ideal

Magnetic letters

Binders to bind books for students

wipe off boards

phonemic segmenting boards (you can make your own) and tools

ABC games like rhyming, go fish letter game, upper lower case match, rhming match etc etc

Eagle1

Folding Machine
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a subscription to Reading A-Z and am excited to start getting books ready for school. Can you tell me what brand and model your paper folding machine is? What a time saver that would be!
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote