Help

The Job Search

Anyone know what to make of this?

>

laughoften

Anyone know what to make of this?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've emailed the principal at one of the particular schools I'd really like a job at. I emailed him first when I submitted my application, describing myself and telling her she should be receiving my materials shortly. Then approximately three weeks later I stopped by the school to deliver some additions to my resume, and once again emailed her that evening to let her know I did so and if she needed anything else from me to please let me know. Now about again three/four weeks later I emailed her again to update my resume as I attended a conference. Not once has she emailed me back. The deadline for the position was back in the beginning of June so no further applicants can apply, and they got out of school the week after. I've read the school committee meeting minutes and under "personnel" is just says "as noted" and there is nothing noted. This was the most recent minutes.
What do I make of this? Did I get completely by-passed, not even responded to for an interview? Maybe they'll start interviewing for the position in the coming weeks? Should I just give up?

laughoften is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-19-2008, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If the deadline was the beginning of June, I would assume the position has been filled. I personally wouldn't contact the principal again. You contacted her, brought your resume to the school, and showed her your interest. I think you've gone over and above.

I'm sorry she didn't respond to your e-mails. That's pretty rude!

It looks like you stopped by the school 2 times and e-mailed her 3 times-is that right? Of course you want to show that you are interested, but you don't want to go overboard. Remember it's a busy time of year for them. I would definitely continue to deliver your resume, try to meet the principal, and then give a follow-up call or e-mail if you haven't heard anything.

Good luck!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

laughoften

Old 07-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No I only went to the school once. I just e-mailed 3 times. I am done with being pro-active. It is getting me no where. I could fill the whole post. I am so tired of this. I know people suggest re-locating but I am just not ready to up and leave my entire family and go live somewhere completely alone. Mentally I am not ready to do it.

GraceK

Old 07-19-2008, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

hey laugh, I'm so sorry you got no response whatsoever. You are sure the email you have is correct and he (she? it looks like you've put two genders in there, so not sure what gender the P is) actually does check it? If it were me, I would probably call the secretary at the school and just inquire as to whether the job has been filled. If it hasn't been, mention that you've tried to contact the P by email, and ask if that's the best way.

It's hard to say.... I know with my job, I applied and did all this stuff and hear nothing forever. I had pretty much given up by the time something finally happened. Summer can be a super busy time for principals, especially if one has a vacation or any sort of trip planned. I would talk to the secretary to see if the job was filled and go from there. I agree that it seems very rude not to send any email like "job has been filled, thanks for the interest," or "we will be looking at applications on XXX date" or something, unless the P doesn't even check email (some don't! believe it or not) or maybe hasn't been in town much, *or* really hasn't gotten that far yet.

Sorry this is so stressful! I would continue as if you don't have that job. Hope something turns out for you soon.
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

She may have been put off
Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

that you didn't go through HR. I mean, you DID go through HR, but then you took it from there. Generally, HR sends the principal all the resumes/apps. they've received by the posting date. The princ. goes through and weeds out the ones she's not interested in interviewing. Her secretary calls the rest to come in for an interview.

Some principals might view your approach as trying to sidestep the protocol. Her response to that may have been an icy silence. Trust HR to get your application to the principal. Look at it this way--whether you go straight to the principal or go through HR, the principal is not going to interview someone she's not interested in. In short, it usually doesn't help you to go straight to the principal and it often hurts you. Go only through HR.

Once you have the interview, it's okay to call and ask the status of the job, maybe once, but you have to know that if the principal wants to hire you, she'll get ahold of you based on what you gave HR. I wouldn't call if I didn't even get an interview.

Hang in there. Looking for a job is tough. There's a job out there for you.

(This will be my seventh year teaching, BTW. It just occurred to me that you might think I'm another newbie trying to tell you how it is.)

maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

laughoften

Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did go through HR. HR sent my application to that school, she had my application (still has it). I called the school before I came by to drop off additional materials to ensure that it was okay to do so and they told me to absolutely come on by.

maryteach

Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

" I emailed him first when I submitted my application, describing myself and telling her she should be receiving my materials shortly. Then approximately three weeks later I stopped by the school to deliver some additions to my resume, and once again emailed her that evening to let her know I did so and if she needed anything else from me to please let me know. Now about again three/four weeks later I emailed her again to update my resume as I attended a conference."

According to what you wrote, you also emailed three times. Look, I'm not trying to offend you. I'm trying to give you some sound advice. You don't have to take it. I wish you luck in your job search.

laughoften

Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wasn't being rude, I was simply clarifying what I was saying. Anyway so you mean I shouldn't have even emailed her just to introduce myself? I didn't attach anything in that first or second email. I did email 3 times though, that is correct.

maryteach

I probably
Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

wouldn't do the intro email. I probably wouldn't contact the school beyond asking if I could bring in the additional materials.

For interviews, try to cultivate some of the eduspeak that adminstrators look for:

Use words like "inclusion" and "differentiation" to describe how you reach all learners. (Hint: say you differentiate by placing all children at their instructional level.)

Heterogenous grouping--also fluid grouping (in fluid grouping, kids move fluidly between groups depending upon the proficiency they demonstrate. This is important because no one gets "stuck" in the low group).

They'll ask how you assess learners. Well, you look at any scores from the last year that you have access to. You have them engaged in educational tasks by the second week, in order to gauge how they write, read, etc. Beware of saying you start them off in academics immediately--they'll want you to say that you take at least a week to teach, model and practice routines and procedures.

"Collaboration" is a real important word for how you will work with your team and the rest of the staff.

"Standards-based" is red hot. Be sure to emphasize that every lesson you teach addresses the standards. You need to be able to recite the standards for your state. Let them know that you know lots of ways to meet the standards, so that (here it is again) you're reaching all learners.

They may ask how you analyze data (gag). Tell them you hope to be given some scores to begin with, after that, your DATA DRIVES YOUR INSTRUCTION. That is so huge. Tell them that you never plan far ahead, because you are constantly assessing your students, reflecting upon your lessons, and RETEACHING when the data (or your instinct) tells you these students didn't get it. Equally important--differentiation again--your more able learners are enriched within your classroom as you provide higher-level learning tasks for them (reader's workshop, or webquests, or independent projects).

If you walk in talking that talk, you just may land a job. Where are you, if you don't mind the question? Are you in a place where jobs are hard to get?

AD

Old 07-19-2008, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm going to chime in again! I think it's perfectly acceptable to bring your resume to the school By no means is that side stepping the protocol.

Actually in my district it is encouraged to hand deliver your resume. I really think that's one thing that helped me get my job. One principal told me that she would only interview those who hand delivered their resume-it shows that you are willing to go the extra step to get the job. Also another told me that with 500 applicants per one position there's no way they can go through all the applications online (yes we have an online system and all), but she does look at all resumes that are hand delivered. Which means you would have a better chance at getting an interview.

Principals receive so many e-mails everyday, so I truly believe that e-mail is not a good form of communication when you are out there job searching. It could easily get overlooked, the principal may have read the first line and thought, "I'll get back to that" and didn't, who knows...

Don't give up though! Last summer I felt the same way. I got my job the week before teachers started back which means I interviewed and was offered my job at the end of August. Don't give up yet!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote

honeydew

hand delivering
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with AD's post. It really depends on the school district and what individual principals want to do. H.R. in my county told me it was good to hand deliver an application. Some principals might not like that, so it might be good to call H.R. It may vary from school to school, depending upon the principal.
honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

It's actually not okay
Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

in most districts to sidestep the protocol. I'm glad it worked for you; please don't tell others, though, to do something that will probably hurt them. I do think that's what hurt the OP. I don't understand encouraging her to keep that up, as I thought the people on here were committed to helping each other get a job, but whatever.

What sort of chaps me, though, is this: About three months ago, one of you on here (can't remember who) posted on the Vent board and basically said why don't any of you employed teachers ever come over to the Job Search board and help us out? I thought, well, we should, I guess. I've had a job for six years, and so I never frequented this board, but that poster had a valid request. So I came over, with actual good advice to answer a question, and get told I'm wrong. Laughoften, I hope I was able to help you out. I hope you find a job real soon. I'm out of here.

sasha11

not once
Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have taught in 4 different school districts in my career. Not once did I get the job through the HR department. Each time I e-mailed or mailed (the first 2...not e-mail then) the principal, was called for an interview, hired, and then sent to HR.

So, it depends on your area. In this area, if you only send your things to HR..you will never even get a call.
sasha11 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have never gone through HR, but that may be the way my school board is set up. Jobs are posted with the request that you apply directly to the principal who is in charge of the hiring. HR just takes care of the final paperwork. Laughoften, it does seem like the position has been filled. I'm sorry that the principal didn't respond to you - that's pretty rude, but unfortunately, common. Good luck with you job hunt.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 07-20-2008, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

In agreement with sasha-- I have worked in 3 different school districts in 3 different states over the past 15 years, and I have gotten every job by going directly to the principal and expressing interest/sharing resume. I know for a fact, at least one of those jobs I would not have gotten had I not been in contact with the principal.

I also know it does vary from principal to principal. Unless you know people working there who can clue you in, it's hard to say what is acceptable and what is not for each situation. I have seen districts that say "do not contact the principals directly" and in those cases, I would not. That would be sidestepping the process. In all other cases, I'd contact the principal at the school in which you'd like to work.
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

mamamoe

sidestepping protocol
Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Maryteach brought up a good point. When you are interviewing it is necessary to know the protocol of the district that you are applying for. I can apply to one district where the principals adhere strictly to the protocol (no correspondance of any type except through HR) and the neighboring district wants you to drop off cd's of lessons taught or resumes etc. You really need to do your homework.
mamamoe is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Every district is different
Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Some of the areas around here you apply and interview directly with the principal - others you go through HR. I would suggest talking to teachers in your area to get a feel for what to do. OR, check the schools website to see what is "protocol" - most will have on there "how to apply."

As for sending emails - why have you not called or gone by? I work with five different principals in my district (due to pulling students from various campuses). Only two of them regularly check and reply to email, two others read it, but don't always respond.. and the fifth.. *sigh*.. she checks hers once a week and VERY seldom replies. I'm excited just to get "OK" from her when I send her something - at least I know she opened it, even if she didn't read it.. lol.

IMHO - email is not the appropriate way to go about this, unless the district's site specifically says to email. I would think calling or dropping by (if it's convenient) would be a better option... Just keep in mind, that while most new applicants are young and see email as an OK way to do business... most principals are not, and don't see it that way..
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

In my district
Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

applicants should send everything to the central office also. Central office then looks and will send names to the administrators to interview for positions. I do know people will stop by and give the principals resumes also. If the principal sees anything, they can submit the names to central.

Also, my district won't look at anyone if their GPA was below a 3.2. This is a new requirement that was added because of the number of applications recieved.

I would suggest that you also send a resume to the central office with a cover letter. I don't think I would try to contact the administrator again. You have done what you can. I'm sorry they never responded to you. I think it's rude. But from their side, I guess I could understand if they are recieving 100's of applications and e-mails. They also can only do so much. My principal has a folder he just puts all resumes in. If he needs one, that's when he goes through it, then contacts central.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

laughoften

Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Wow I didn't realize the e-mail thing would get me in this much trouble. My GPA is/was a 3.8 so that is not an issue. I saw e-mail as a more convenient way for them, not as a burden. I figured that this way they could open the email at their leisure and do what they want with it. A phone call or a visit seems a bit intrusive and too spur of the moment. I don't want to interrupt them. How in the world do I find out if e-mail is acceptable for a principal/district or not? I emailed other principals and they responded to me. In fact I received one today that said they hired internally. Got to love this job search.
AmandaB

AmandaB

Well,
Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

do you know anyone - a teacher or secretary that works for this district? Even a friend of a friend may be able to lead you the right way. I met the director of student services for our district at swim lessons for toddlers and eventually taught her son at our preschool, now she wants to be my reference. You never know who can help you.