The Job Search

social service job?

>

Mrs.B

Mrs.B

social service job?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been having a pretty rough year-teaching 3 grades, more like a daycare than school, no winter/spring/summer breaks, etc. The teaching job market is tough so I took what I could get. Our contracts go from Jan.-Dec. I signed in July so I'll have a new contract in Dec. I've been looking in newspapers and online for other options. I inquired and applied for a caseworker job and I got a call back to set up an interview. I'm excited about it but feel kinda bad. I feel bad leaving my school in the middle of the year but my contract will be up and I'm really not happy. If I plan to go back to teaching in the future, would it look bad to to take a caseworker position? Will it look bad that I left in the middle of the year? Please help!

SubforNow

Social Worker Burnout
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my teaching school, we had some students who had been social workers and wanted to change their careers to teaching because they were totally burned out from their social work, so I would think carefully before taking a caseworker position.

I think it is a plus that both careers are helping professions, and therefore require some similar skills. But leaving in the middle of a school year is not good. If you decide to take the position, could you postpone starting until after the end of the school year? After all, it's only a couple of months.
SubforNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Chicago Teacher

social services job
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am currently working in a social services setting after 4 years of classroom teaching. I still consider myself "a teacher" because I teach group and individual life skills as part of my job.

First, what the previous poster said is true - social services jobs can lead to burnout as quickly as teaching can. But, just like teaching, if you work for a solid agency and have a good supervisor, it can also be wonderful.

A few positive things about taking a caseworker job if you plan to go back to teaching: You will probably get experience with diverse clients many of whom (depending on the agency) will face challenges that your students will also face (low income, divorce, abuse, etc.). You will also get experience with crisis management. Also, case management requires excellent listening and communication skills, which you need in a classroom.

Good luck!

My personal opinion is that you should stay at your teaching job until your contract ends in December. (I'm confused about why you don't have school vacations. Is it a year round school? Whatever the case, the best possible choice would be to stay until the "end of the year" whenever that would be for you, if you can do it.)
Chicago Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote