What do you do with incredibly SLOW workers? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

What do you do with incredibly SLOW workers?

>

micmckim

What do you do with incredibly SLOW workers?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student that can take four times as long to do every single assignment that we do. This means that by the end of the day he seems to have homework in every subject.

Mom says that he has been like this since he was a baby (she often let him sit feeding for hours on end until he finished). She claims that he is staying up until 11-11:30 at night. Many of my other students have no homework at all, so I'm stymied. I don't want to keep reducing assignments because he doesn't have any restrictions, but I don't want the poor kid to be completely exhausted either.

Any suggestions?

micmckim is offline   Reply With Quote

AMac

Try a timer
Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would give him an allotted amount of time to complete the assignments and use a timer. When the timer goes off he has to turn it in finished or not. It sounds as if it has just become a habit. Maybe someone needs to turn up the heat. I have done this to a few turtles and they do well with the limitations. After making a few bad grades, they learn to pace themself with the timer.
AMac is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

There may be an underlying issue!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My daughter is "twice exceptional". She has a gifted IQ and is classified SPED for processing speed and working memory. In jr. high and hs she would come home from school and spend ALL evening working on her homework. She turned down social engagements because she needed to get her work done. Everyone thought it was due to her "perfectionist tendencies" but that was far from true. It wasn't until she was in HS that we found at about the SPED side because she had developed coping skills and had given us the impression that she was spending so much time on her work because she was so dedicated. It tore us apart when we found out about the processing issues - how could we have missed it???
For your guy, it could be that he needs a fire lit under him, it could be a long-developed habit, he could be a gifted underachiever, or, it could be a sign of another issue. Check with your SPED folks. You might find something you never expected. Good luck.
"Mrs. Gorf" is offline   Reply With Quote

awgray1

How does she best learn?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How does she best learn? Do teachers alter the curriculum or do they extend time?
awgray1 is offline   Reply With Quote