Help

Gifted Education

Career Guest Speakers

>

BlazerDazer

Career Guest Speakers
Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 4/5 combo containing the identified GATE cluster. Next school year I was considering having guest speakers( parents, relatives, friends, etc.) to speak about their careers. I was planning to do it in first thing on Friday mornings. I was thinking about spreading it out for 2-3 months. I would like feedback from others who have done something similar in the past. Also, how did you keep the students engaged while the speaker was talking? How much time did you allot per speaker?

BlazerDazer is offline   Reply With Quote

awgray1

Speakers
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Each year, I find out what the parents do for a living and depending on their expertise, I will invite them in to talk about a various subject or career. It is not a formal approach, but it has worked very well. I have had someone come in to talk about lack of structure for veterans, an aunt who works each year with the kids on math related activities (excellent female role model), an archaeologist to talk about our annual dig, etc.

I would personally stay away from make it formal. The way I approached it was that I told the parents, at back to school night, to review the curriculum and if they had a connection to the curriculum then to contact me.

I hope that helps.
awgray1 is offline   Reply With Quote

nc4me

Career Speakers
Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have enjoyed having parents and community leaders come and speak to my students. My classes are 50 min. in length so I give the speaker 20-30 minutes. I leave time for questions and/or some hands-on project they can do related to their profession. Some examples: a pilot helped students construct a balsa wood plane; a city planner helped students manipulate facts about our town and project future needs.

Most students really enjoyed it. Some of the speakers were quite nervous and had to be helped a little to understand what things would be interesting to children.

I will definitely do it again in the future.
nc4me is offline   Reply With Quote