Help

Gifted Education

2nd Grade GT Math Enrichment

>

linderdm

2nd Grade GT Math Enrichment
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am planning math for my team with the enVision math series. The beginning of the book seems very easy, and I am trying to include some good enrichment activities for the 3 classes that have GT clusters. Can anyone recommend resources to use...either books or online?

Thanks for your help!

linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

J in MO

J in MO

GT elem
Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love the Math Rules series (Pieces of Learning). There are three books, graded 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6. The middle book will challenge gifted fifth graders (but you can use it with third--most "regular" third graders won't be ready for it yet), and the last book challenges gifted eighth graders. These are worksheets (sounds uninspiring) that require all kinds of different problem-solving skills in different strands. They could be self-checking as enrichment in the regular classroom, and/or inspire other investigations.

I have heard lots of good things about Hands-On Equations, but I haven't used it.
Cricket72
Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 AM
This message has been deleted by Cricket72. Reason: Posted with more info.

Cricket72

2nd math enrichment ideas
Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Math Rules (Pieces of Learning) is SUPER! The books are divided by grade levels and I use the level 2 with bright 2nd grade. We go over certain questions orally because I "extend" them. For example, one question challenges the students to place the numbers 0-5 in a trriangle so each side equals 6. After concluding that all correct answers had 0,1,2 in the points of the triangle, I asked students to arrange the numbers do that all sides added to an equal number other than 6. We then looked for patterns in the responses. You can further challenge them to use ANY 6 consecutive numbers.
I have used Hands On Equations with older students and think it is more appropriate for 3rd and up. In preparation for that type of activity, I have my students write their own equations. If today is the 20th day of school, we write equations equal to 20. I challenge (require) brighter students to use () and at least 2 operations. There is also a series called Beginning Algebra (same levels as Math Rules) that is good--sorry can't remember the publisher right now.
Cricket72 is offline   Reply With Quote