Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Take Home Bags

>

andiebeer

Take Home Bags
Old 07-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my second year teaching Pre-K and I have decided to do take home bags with activities that students can do with their parents. They will be allowed to take a bag home each day (I'm still deciding those details) I have a few ideas so far: "There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly" activity, math activity using dice and counting the numbers, a felt story. Does anybody have any additional ideas, which are very cost efficient and do not have a lot of materials or easily replaceble materials? I work in an at-risk school, so I will probably encounter non-returned materials and need to be able to recreate the bags if needed. Thanks for any help.

andiebeer is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

I am calling mine literacy bags
Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

my goal was to make 30 this summer...
I got bags from Oriental trading...I got 60 for about 40 dollars....I am painting them with each theme myself. I got foamboard at the dollar store and stickers too....I want to make a gameboard for each one too...I will make a game to go with each one...this year I will probably only be able to put one book in each bag but I'd like to be able to put in 2 or 3 on each subject.....I teach 2nd gr. Each child will get a bag/ week....due on Fri so I can check them over and send out new ones on Monday....
So far I have 6 done....I'm worried....to do a good job it takes a while...
what are your ideas????

Kym
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

andiebeer

Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mine are going to be pretty simple considering the age level. So far I have:

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - read the story and then act it out. I have a paper cut out of the lady (about 11X16) and then the animal pieces for it, so students can act out the story.

5 Little monkeys book and a felt story set that they can act out.

Big dice counting - I found big dice, students will roll the dice, count the dots, and then find the number flashcard that it corresponds with.

Meet My Friends - Matching classmates pictures with their names, then count letters, see who has the longest/shortest name...identify letters.

Thats about all I have for now. Mine are only going home one day because the longer they are at home the less likely they may come back. This past year I had about half of my students hardly return things. So any other suggestions for my age range would be great.
QueenRosie

QueenRosie

Reading Backpacks
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year my coworkers and I wrote and received a grant to purchase materials for take-home literacy backpacks. Most of the activities and materials I included in the backpacks I found for free online, or was able to use school materials to make (construction paper, laminating, etc). The backpacks were a huge success with the families and students and we plan to continue the program this year. I have Reading Backpacks for the following books:
Three Little Kittens
3 Bears
Jamaica's Find
Jamaica Tag Along
3 Little Pigs
Rumplestiltskin

Since I am still a "New Member" I can't post with attachments, but feel free to email me directly and I'll send you my activities

andiebeer

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That would be wonderful, can I have your email?

Unique

Unique

backpack
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hello,

Do you mine sending me the info you use for your backpacks. I'm looking to make some for my prek class. I think its really important to get the parents and even the other siblings involved even at this young age.

Thanks
touch_ohs@yahoo.com
Annp

Annp

backpack
Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi, can you e-mail me that information about the
backpack also.

pulliaml@bellsouth.net

CookieGirl

Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm teaching kindergarten this year and I wanted to send home literacy bags as well. Of course the issue is always how to make the best learning experiences on a tight budget! Any ideas or links to activities would be greatly appreciated! I work in a district where many of the students do not speak English and receive free/reduced lunch.

Last edited by CookieGirl; 08-08-2007 at 05:35 PM..
CookieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

andiebeer

The bags so far
Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ok, I have been working on my take home bags. For those of you looking to make some, check out this website:

http://www.kidscount1234.com/

Scroll down on the left and there are some take home activity ideas.
Hope that helps!

CookieGirl

Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the site! There were some great ideas on there. If anyone else has any sites, I'd love to explore them!

CookieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

njdknd

take home packs
Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi-

I know that your post is from last year, but I thought that I would take a chance. I am new (today) to this site. Was wondering if your offer of having activties emailed to me would still there.

Kelly
njdknd is offline   Reply With Quote