Help

Gifted Education

William and Mary

>

Mindfull

William and Mary
Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use the William and Mary gifted and talented reading series? I teach 4th grade.

Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

I do!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do! I love it so far .
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

micmckim

William and Mary
Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have used some of the Language Arts units and liked them. I have some of the Social Studies and Science units and would like to incorporate them this year.

They are definitely challenging for my students. I teach a 4/5 split and a 6/7 split.
micmckim is offline   Reply With Quote

lukedgizmo

What units?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach gifted, but I'm not sure what units you are talking about. I'd love to know about them if they're good to use in a pull out class for gifted. It's hard to find quality material that impacts, engages, and challenges kids. It makes it even harder when I only have them twice a week for 45 minutes. If you have something I should look at, please let me know!
Jamie
lukedgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

link
Old 09-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Check out this link:

http://cfge.wm.edu/curr_language.htm

Mindfull

Thank YOU!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used the Language Arts portion for 7th grade AP English.
Now that I am teaching 4th grade gifted and talented I have been given social studies units titles: Dust Bowl, Electricity City, What A Find, and The Chesapeake Bay. I only have the teacher manuals but they have reproducable student pages. I have to teach the gen ed social studies also and I am finding it hard to fit it all in. The Language Arts portion is wonderful. I so love teaching novels, short stories and poems, etc... rather than a gen ed reading series. This class is fun and thinking and discussions are amazing. Writing is not very good and some math problems, but minor compared to what I have taught for the last 7 years.
Coloradoteach, thanks for the web site. It is on my favorites.
You all have a great week.
I still wonder how you get it all in. We have 90 min. of math and reading and the rest of the day is divided up with specials, social studies and science.
I guess I liked middle school because I only had two preps each day instead of the whole ball of wax.
If you have any suggestions on how you fit everything in and still challenge your students, PLEASE share.
Thanks again

ColoradoTeach

glad you like it!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm glad you can use it! At my school we have interventions for a half an hour so I take the high kids from the grade and do the program then. I wish I had longer than 30 minutes...but that's all they give me.

Mindfull

New
Old 09-18-2008, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know that I am very lucky in the position I am in right now. I was mad and sad about being bumped yet again from the school I want to retire from, but I got a gem of a position.
Teaching the LEAP Gifted and Talented 4th grade at one of the best run schools in our district is sweet. I started with 30 kids but am down to 24 which is perfect. No one is bugging me, I do what I want as long as I meet the state benchmarks and goals. I am grateful that I was familiar with William and Mary or I might have been apt to just tuck it away and use the old basal reader.
The bad side is all of my friends are at the other school and I am the only 4th grade GATE teacher in my new school and there is only one other 4th grade GATE class in our district. It is a little issolated. The kids are great. I hope you get to enjoy the wonderful program in the short time you have with the kids. It is remarkable how much they learn in a short time with this curr.
Good luck and have a super day.

wishin2go

william and mary
Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We used the William and Mary reading for our HAL students in the past. It was a supplement to the regular curriculum and we received training from the W and M staff, Catherine Little. While I think the program is good it was very difficult for the classroom teacher to manage along with the regular curriculum for rest of the class. I think it would be appropriate for a self contained gifted class or if the teachers group the HAL kids together. It's a good program, but heavy.
wishin2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

Yes
Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That is why my position is perfect to implement this program. I am in a sef-contained classroom and only have gifted and talented kidos. I don't have to use the regular curriculum.
When I taught it at the middle school level, these students were place in the class because of a battery of test scores and observations. I had 20. It was wonderful. These are college prep classes and it is very heavy.
thanks for your input.
Have a great day.

maryteach

I was trained on this
Old 09-25-2008, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

about four years ago, but opted not to use it because of all the gathering of materials that was required. One teacher at my school did implement it, but it took the literacy coach SIX MONTHS to track down everything W and M wanted presented. She had to find, for instance, an article in the New York Times from 1946. Then after all that work, they decided they didn't like it.

Have they changed the program so it's more user-friendly? I can't imagine all of you would like it so well if you had run into the same snags we did, so maybe it's smoother now. Did you have to gather lots of stuff? I would look at it again if I thought it was easier to use.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

I don't know
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

if it has changed but I really like it. We were given websites that had information we needed in addition to what was represented in the books. Art work, articles, etc... A group of us got together and split it up and created quick powerpoints. It wasn't bad.

michelb366

A quick question for those of you using this
Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When you choose your units, do you base them on the students' reading level or grade level? I want to challenge the kids, but not overwhelm them. Would you suggest starting with a grade level one to get them used to the new program for the first time around? Most of my kids are reading 2-3 years above grade level.
Thanks!
Michelle
michelb366 is offline   Reply With Quote

micmckim

grade level!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We chose it based on the kids' grade level (even though they are scoring about 3 years ahead of grade level). It's definitely still a challenge for them.

As for tracking down materials, yes, we had to track down materials. Sometimes I couldn't find all of them so we substituted.

Mindfull

Exactly
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Fill in the materials you need. Most is available on the internet. the kids are getting really good at inferences. They actually like the vocabulary web. We only do two words per week because there is so much more to do. This program is the first I've seen that challenges my kids. I guess that is why I like it.

ColoradoTeach

easy to get materials
Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I had no problem with the materials. They now have a booklet to buy that has all of the poems and readings together. All my district had to purchase on its own were the novels. It seems very easy to start up. Maybe they have improved the program...this is my first year so I'm not sure what it was like in the past.

maryteach

ColoradoTeach
Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You have a booklet that has all the readings? We sure never saw that. If I had something like that, I might give it another try, but seven years ago, they made us find all the stuff and it was just too much. I would try it again maybe now.

BTW, I'm in Colorado too.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

books
Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yeah, you should check it out our district ordered books (pretty cheap) with all of the readings combined.

micmckim

materials
Old 11-08-2008, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have the booklets, but some of the novels are still hard to find.