A conversation -------

>

Pam-IL

Pam-IL

A conversation -------
Old 07-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My turn --------------

I just hung up the phone with my mom -- she doesn't get it. Follow the converstion:

"So, are you subbing in Sept.?"
"No, I'm not going back."
"Why?"
"Because I'm not - no one has called or bothered to interviewed me for a full time position and I want to be a full time teacher. I just can't go back to subbing - I did it for 5 years."
"Is it because you are not blond and skinny?"
"What does that have to do with it?" (No, I am red haired and fat......)
"Because you don't look like the other teachers in the district."
"No, I am not going back - I am going to either sit home and do nothing or find a job at McDonalds or something."
"All that school - it is such a waste." (TELL ME about it......)
"Well, what else can I do? Should I pay the districts to talk to me?" (My voice is becomming strained and testy here.......)
"I just don't get you."
"It is not just me = its all over the country. People can't find jobs in education. It's not just me. (Sobs are gathering in my throat.....)
"Well, then you picked the wrong field. I can't talk about it - it makes me mad." (It doesn't make me mad??????)

I am so tired of having these conversation with people. They look at me like I am crazy or making it up. What does it take? I hate venting about this because so many of us are in the same boat. My coping mechanism = I just ate a Midnight Milkway bar and I don't remember tasting it = I am so upset.

Between my mom and my non-understanding husband - it is amazing that I am not a closet drinker. I'm sorry - im just frustrated I can't take it anymore

Elise82

(((Pam)))
Old 07-26-2006, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry your conversation with your mom made you upset! I know how it is. Some relatives just don't get it. I was actually shocked when my dad mentioned to someone that there really isn't a teacher shortage, and that it's difficult for teachers to find jobs. I'm not sure how he finally came to this conclusion, but I know that my niece-in-law whose sister and brother both had/have a difficult time finding a job, too, might have helped him. My parents both know now that I am very sensitive about this, so they don't really bring it up that much anymore. I do love my mom, but sometimes when I talk to her about other things, too, I feel like she just doesn't "get" whatever it is I'm trying to explain to her! (And I feel like banging my head against the wall.) I guess we're just very different people, and maybe that's why...

Unless a person has subbed before, they can't possibly understand how frustrating and thankless it can be - especially when you're trying to get on full-time!

My "drug" of choice lately is Jelly Bellies - I buy them bulk at QFC - but they were getting too expensive, so I cut down .
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

subbing
Old 07-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know what you are going through. I subbed years ago and then even took a job as an assistant because there were no teaching jobs where I was living. I went back to school and got my special ed. licenses and got hired in the middle of the year as a part time special ed. teacher in a different district. That got me to a full time job in another district the year after. I started getting calls before I finished even 1 license. I don't know if you would want to try it too, but thought I'd pass it on. I had to take out student loans but at least I got a job finally. I really couldn't stand subbing and working as an assistant made me feel terrible because I had a teaching license. I saw new teachers getting hired in the district where I subbed because they were related to a teacher or knew someone. I'm sorry your mom doesn't understand. I guess I would change the subject if it comes up again. What does your husband do? Mine isn't a teacher but he understands what teachers go through. I actually had a teacher ask me while I was an assistant teacher why I didn't have a teaching job! She didn't know because her parents were wealthy and influential so she got hired, it really stinks. I'm hoping something happens for you soon. As for the people who don't have a clue and look at you crazy-ask them for a reference for your records.(that's what I did to the teacher who questioned me)
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

Cinnamon muffin for me
Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

...and I'm about to have another cup of Tiger Spice Chai tea....it's infuriating when your family doesn't get it. Both my 20 yr old daughter and husband told me the other day that I don't do this job hunting thing right! My father told me to go into the State Dept. of Adm. Services and demand to see their list of jobs...there must be something (it's posted online, & I've been thru it...although getting a state job isn't a bad idea...) It's a good thing we have this board, so we can see outside our own "worlds" and know that it's not us!!!

I want you to know that I took a waitressing job last week, just to get some $$ into the house. (I know you've been there too) I just cannot wait any longer. This will give me time to think about what to do....my latest idea is to speak to the Dean of the Social Work Dept at a nearby college and just see how many courses it would take....I think quite a few...just like the health field I was considering. And I am out of money...

So, I have come full circle (my 1st job was in a restaurant). Gee, why did I even bother w/college?? I see "dollar signs" as I walk thru the door and must say, have come out with quite a few (tips are a blessing!) The people have been nice so far and I'm hoping to lose a few pounds so I can munch on whatever I please! Now that's lookin' at the glass half full!!
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

tntigerz

gotcha
Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OHH, I am so glad I found this website and I can see that I am not alone in this game. My husband works nights and with women. When he got to work tonight, he asked the women there how to deal with a depressed wife! They told him to just say 'yes dear'! That isn't fair, they have no idea what I am going through. And my mom, dear woman that she tries to be, says to me "I just don't understand because every job I ever earnestly tried to get, I got!" Oh, go ahead and rub it in! I am still trying to decide what to do.
I am curious though, where are you guys from? We all seem to have stories close to the same and I was just wondering if it is in a general location or nation wide. I am in tennessee.

tntigerz is offline   Reply With Quote

~Amy~

You are not alone Pam!!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live in a city where the inner city school system is a place where no one wants to work. I was sure I could get a job there. But of course when it comes time for me to get a job..there is a freeze on hiring. They are only hiring subs!! This is place where they have trouble getting and keeping teachers..yet for some reason now they aren't hiring at all!!! So I really do understand. I have all this teaching stuff staring me in the face....and I get asked daily by family and friends about the job search. They just don't get it either...they don't get the subbing thing. It's really difficult. Just know you are not alone!! I know this can't make it better, but I have to say after finding this website I did feel a little comfort knowing I was not alone. Best wishes!!! Somehow it will all work out!
~Amy~ is offline   Reply With Quote

~Amy~

TNTIGERZ.....me too
Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm in TN too!

IMHISTORY

While we are at it.....
Old 07-27-2006, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Don't you love when friends tell you there is going to be an opening at your child's School?

I'm dying to know-for those of us filling out on-line applications- when am I going to get my PASS CODES? Are these for real? What are they?

I looked at the new hires for a district. They had pictures and bios on the web. Oh my, not a face over 30. Maybe even 25.

I am also tired of saying how great my gpa was -and I still can't find a job.

No- I have no baggage. No I am not, "medicated."

For the record, you could not do a SNL skit on me if you tried. I do not wear "mom jeans," I do not look like, "Pat." I do not pretend to have a driving cat. No, and I do not drink beer then play ring toss with my cone. I am normal!!!!!!!

I was a Girl Scout leader. A, "Make a Wish," wish grantor. I have been the chaiperson for school auctions that generated over $30,000 each. I could teach history at the graduate level. I bicycle ove 100 miles a week. I could actually tell you what the NEA does in the political arena. Just like you I am a great teacher. I'm a good sport-I still love it when I see someone else "here," gets a job.

Thank you, I feel much better now. You guys are great!

Still nothing......Still History
IMHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote

teachervet

wow...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm sorry that your mom put you through that, Pam. I subbed and waitressed off and on for 10 years. I finally quit "outside the school district" work after I had my daughter for about a year. I did waitress one time and I was done. I decided that nothing will make me happier than teaching, so I will sub. I took some time off and then went back to subbing...like I said off and on for 10 years.

Just when I thought I wasn't going to get a job and I was getting ready for another year of sub teaching, I put in my application to the district, let the principals of the schools I enjoyed know that my application was in and I got 1 interview and I got that job.

I was happy that I got the job, but a little discouraged because I only got 1 interview. I would've thought after being at the other schools subbing so often (so much that they should've just given me my own room) that they would've at least considered me.

I'm happy with the job I got. It's 5 minutes from my house...if that.
Please don't get discouraged. I have wanted to be a teacher for 20 years.
It's your passion and determination that will get you that job. Yeah, subbing can have it's good and bad times, but get your name in and go for it!! If it's truly something you want really bad, like me, stay with it and your day will come. Until then, take some online courses that will keep you updated with the newest ideas in education. I did that and learned soooooo much!!

good luck!
teachervet is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Hang in There
Old 07-27-2006, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been looking for 4+ years. Subbed for 2, and am going on my 3rd year working part time as a literacy coach. I considered going back to subbing since I'm not young, thin or blond (the apparent criteria for my current school district), but then I thought about it and decided to stay on as coach. It is guaranteed work, tho not for the entire school year, and there are no benefits, but fairly close to home and I do have a great boss. People say I'm crazy and should sub to get my face out there, but it's better for me to have a steady, tho small income.

I am trusting in the Lord to make a way where there seems to be no way. I've applied to public, private and prison schools. I keep volunteering to work in inner-city camp, raising reader parent clubs, tutoring, etc. My MIL keeps telling me about all the people she knows who are getting teaching jobs and I just smile and say "good for them!". Teachers are becoming a dime a dozen, but that doesn't mean that they are all cut out for the job. I've had a desire to teach since I was 4 years old.

Don't give up on your dream - there are lots of us here who DO understand what it's like and are going thru the same thing. OUR DAY WILL COME!! Have faith!

IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

IMHISTORY

What would Dr. Phil Say?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do not watch Dr. Phil. I do not even know where he falls on the dial. If I told Dr. Phil I have been subbing for 5 years, and I still do not have a job you just know, "GET REAL," would be the first words out of his mouth.

It is not OK for anyone to have to initiate themselves or pay their dues for that long. It is OK to do something else. Even Honest Abe ran his course of failue and DIFFERENT JOBS! He just did not wait to become the president. He was a farmer, then a log splitter -to that job he declared that he would much rather work with his head and not his hands.Then he went to law school. Ran for the senate several times. Only became the name on the Republican ticket by strange chance.

You are not less for seeing the obvious right now. I know you are passionate-I know you are great, I know you have stetched determination to a bare thread.

The sub until you get a job rhetoric (sp?) is laughable. I will grant you that for a year or two. I apologize to the previous poster. I love teaching just as much as anyone here. I just will not play the lady in waiting game. I would much rather advance myself -than wait. Yes I know there more to getting a job then, "waiting."

Pam you will find a way for yourself. You will be all the better for it.

Thank you for the soap box. I'm History
Pam-IL

Pam-IL

Thank you everyone
Old 07-27-2006, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Morning:
It was so nice to read your posts this morning -- they really helped me.

Some of you asked:
My husband works out of state in Columbus, Ohio right now for a huge company. They send him out for trouble shooting - correct problems and get everyone else in gear. His last assignment was in CA. where he spent a year there. They pay for him to move, but not the family and who wants to move every 6 moinths - 1 year? His 1st wife was a science teacher and Department head. He is unable to fathom my inability to find a job - he has worked since he was young and doesn't understand our problems especially since he constantly points out to me the news stories, articles about the "teacher shortage." He constantly points out that I have a MBA, now a MA and I am computer savvy.

Going back to school for special ed - just not in the picture. It was difficult enough to go back and earn 6 hours for my science endorsement last semester which I thought would make me more marketable. I don't think I have it in me to start back on the grad level nor the money - DePaul is big bucks. Plus, it seems that my daugter is going thru some very difficult things herself, and while I was earning my MA, I ignored the family and now paying the price. I need to spend some time with her and returning back to school won't give me that.

Subbing -- yes, it is great- as you see what you get and it is thankless at time, and rewarding, too. But, I just can't. I just can't - Taking on a new district - done that too - one that is more rounded and educational diverse didn't help either. FIve years is a lot being full time, towards the end I was getting burnt out and tired of it - which is not a good sign. I am to old to sub for much longer and I give you credit for keeping at it --

I went through the districts I have applied to - and counted them up - over 40 packets went out. I tried private, public, charter and even bit the bullet and applied to religious schools - I keep checking my ROE to see if I missed anything but I didn't. I know I did the best that I could.
I have to accept that. I have pestered everyone I know and keep copies of packets with me at all times, "just in case" I see anyone at the grocery store.

Needless to say last night was a sleepless one and I am beat today, but I wanted to thank everyone for reading and posting and their support. It is great that we can support one another for both landing a teaching position and for being frustrated. It does help -- we will succeed.

Warmest thanks,
P

~Amy~

Young..not blonde.haha
Old 07-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well not that it makes anyone feel better, but I'm young...fresh out of college..about to have a master's degree. I'm not blonde..but I would consider myself fairly attractive....Yet I'm in the same position you are all in. I don't have much experince..but I did go on to get my master's in Reading..which you would think would put be above the people with master's. Plus, supposidly I was listed as Highly Recommended in the HR file...but I will be subbing. It's very frustrating!!!
Erin - IL

Erin - IL

This makes me even more depressed!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

After reading all the posts in these discussion rooms, I am even more depressed. I thought it was just me... and I would find a job sooner or later. But now I see that there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people looking for jobs right now, and they have been looking for years. I had a job last year... full time... right out of college... this is my second year coming up, and I lost it due to political reasons. Now I thought I would get a job late in the summer this year, but after seeing how everyone wasted years subbing and waitressing, I'm thinking that's how it will be for me too. I HAD HOPE... now I don't. This was a great discussion room... really helpful. (Sarcasm in voice.)

teachinduff

I know, right!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Those are my sentiments exactly after reading the posts. At first it was nice to know I wasn't alone, but I've read too much/too many and now I'm wondering what next step I should take and who I should talk to before my cert shrivels up.
teachinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
WannaB1

WannaB1

Erin --
Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What do you mean in your post? Why are you using Sarcasm?
We can't help our situation. I don't get it.

tntigerz

Erin
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Sorry, hun. But unless you are young, popular, know someone that can help you get a job, live in an area that need teachers (if there is such a place, someone please let me know), or have a license in a specialized area, then you are quite possibly looking at the same things the rest of us are experiencing. It seems to be more "normal" then any of us realized. Sorry to sound so hopeless but that's how we feel right now. You may find great luck in this profession. Just don't waste 6 years at it!
Good luck to ya seriously.
tntigerz is offline   Reply With Quote

IMHISTORY

We can not take your hope..
Old 07-28-2006, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

that is yours alone. However, We are the dregs here. Sarcasm intended.

I was going to post a new thread, however I think it will fit best here. I want to thank all of you on all of the boards who, "come over here," and lend your kind thoughts.

Really I do not pass through the world as I do on the "Job Search." Yet, this is the only venue where I can let it all hang out. I do not own these thoughts with my friends, or much with my husband. It is best with people who have this shared experience. You understand. This is the bottom-for those of us looking for several years. You do not know what it is to loose hope from one March to one August. Sarcasm intended. Our hearts have gone through the ebb and flow of many March- August open windows. That is just it. You are wittnessing yet another window closing from us. This is the worst time. Last ditch efforts and the like-again.

I do have hope. I have a path. Not one thwarted year ever did me in.

I'm hopeful, I'm History

TeAcHeRinFL

Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I read all your posts and I can't help thinking that I would be in the same boat if I hadn't relocated. Pam, I've followed your posts since the beginning. I always hoped for you. I'm sorry that things are still not working out. It's too bad principals have to judge who to interview by reading a resume. Maybe they should read this whole blog.

The whole situation of jobless teachers is sickening to me. I don't blame you all for being disheartened. I was too, for two years. Not one interview in Buffalo did I have. I got recruited to work in Florida. I guess I consider myself lucky to have a job. I gave up subbing after only like 1.5 years. I couldn't imagine 5!

I really wish you all the best. I've been there.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
YHG311

YHG311

There is such a thing as a teacher shortage
Old 07-28-2006, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Some places do have teacher shortages. For example, most of Florida, parts of Georgia, and Clark County in Nevada. Also I hear parts of Texas are in needs of teacher, probably near the border. I know this accounts for only a small section of the USA, but some districts have multiple shortages (for example, my district where I'm teaching has at least 100 vacancies with less than 10 days until school starts). But from reading these posts, I definitely agree that 99% of USA has enough teachers. For those who really want to teach, maybe it's time to move to that 1% of USA with vacancies, like the New York teacher who moved to FL. At my teacher orientation, I met teachers coming from Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and a couple other states. These people made the jump, maybe some of you should also. But for those who value family more, than I understand remaining with your current status (since I believe family matters most, even more than teaching).

TeAcHeRinFL

Old 07-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I wouldn't say I don't value my family, but I do value earning a decent living, living in my own apt. & not in my parent's house, and working in the profession I went to school for. You have to do what you have to do. In fact, it was my own mother's words that helped me to make the ultimate decision to move. She said it would be stupid not to go. She was right thus leading me to move to Florida. I visit when I can and it is difficult at times to deal with them not being here, but if I moved back, I would be in the same boat as most of you, looking for work & worrying about paying the bills.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote