Help

Gifted Education

a vent

>

AngieB.

a vent
Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is a vent, but it concerns being a "teacher of the gifted", so I'm posting it here.

I'm sure everyone has heard the comments that the regular classroom teachers make about "how nice it must be to have a job like that", or "I wish I didn't have to do anything but play all day", etc. I know the regular classroom teacher's job is hard, I did it for 16 years. I've spent a lot of time and money going back to school to get certified in gifted education. In my state you have to take 5 graduate courses in gifted just to be certified, and I continued on and got my Master's degree. It really gripes me when they make those little comments. When I was a regular teacher, I didn't act that way to the gifted teachers at my school. I knew they had it easier in a lot of ways, but I knew they worked hard to get the job, too. I have to bite my tongue quite a bit, otherwise I'd say something that I'd be sorry for! Thanks for letting me vent!

AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I understand...
Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

it's the same way everywhere I think... I teach gifted pullout for four schools (students bus to my class one day a week). I always feel like it's me against them... at least in most cases. Right now I have a teacher trying to get one of my students to stop coming. I've blocked it so far (thanks to admin!) but I"m just waiting for her to get the parent to request it and find away around me.. :-(

On a bright note however... I was SO excited to get an email from one of my "regular" teachers (who has my students clustered in his class) asking if I'd like to go with them on their field trip in December (he has 8 of my students)... I can't wait! He is one of the few who actually works WITH me so the students get extension and enrichment in BOTH classes and we're working together not against each other.. it's awesome! Now if I could get the others to follow suit!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Artbex

I like your idea thinks!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Angie B. and all of the other pp's. I know exactly what you mean
This is my 16th year teaching gifted and I taught art before that, so I have always been in this situation. A fellow GT teacher told me a few years ago "if they want to teach gifted they can go get certified like we did, I wouldn't give it a second thougt." She taught 10 years in the regular classroom before getting her gifted certification. That has really helped me not worry about the negative comments. I am so fortunate to have a good collegue the past year and a half to work with and we keep each other motivated. She taught 3rd grade for 10 years and doesn't understand it either. NCLB has really put pressure on the regular classroom teachers, so I try to stay out of the way as much as possible. I feel for them. Personally, I think trying to challenge and keep the gifted students motivated is very hard and can be stressful.
Just know Angie, that there are teachers on PT that support you and know what you are going through, try not to let the others rain on your parade, you know your students appreciate you and that is what matters
Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote

wingding

Gifted
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Angie,

Let me start by stating that I have two gifted children and I thank my gifted teachers (one elementary/one middle school) often for what they do for my children. Gifted teachers make a tremendous difference in differentiated curriculum for my children and offer them opportunities to go beyond the "normal" curriculum. I am not stating that all regular classroom teachers do not differentiate, but as we know, there are many who do not which leaves many bored gifted children!

I think that some teachers believe that gifted teachers have it "easy" because they do not have a class in their classroom all the time. I think in our county you see more complaints about the middle and high school gifted teachers rather than the elementary.

In elementary, the gifted teacher not only does collaborative sessions and co-teaching in classrooms (1st - 5th grade), but she also does pull out sessions with grade level gifted children. At the middle school level, the gifted teachers teach a GT course and may only have 2-3 classes that they teach a semester. We are in block scheduling so there is an opportunity for 8 classes (4 each day). She also goes to specific teachers to co-teach and/or work out collaborative lessons with them, but on the surface it seems the easier job to those who have to be the primary planner for the classes.

I think you should ignore the complainers! I know its hard, but its not worth it to respond. You probably wont change their minds! Personally, I am a believer that if they are upset about it then they should make the change. They could always make the effort to become a GT teacher if that is their desire. Obviously they dont want to put in the time and effort to do so. I say ignore them...not worth the effort to respond to them Just make the effort to keep up the good work for your gifted students. They are your responsibility...not the complaining teachers!
wingding is offline   Reply With Quote