Help

Gifted Education

Accommodating my high students during math

>

jmbear86

Accommodating my high students during math
Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I am a 3rd grade teacher at a very low-income school. I have a tremendous amount of low math students and so I am trying to set up my math block (90 minutes) as more of a workshop model. I was hoping to spend 20 minutes teaching the lesson whole-group, then set the kids out to station rotations for 30 minutes. Not as much of "centers" as in Reading Workshop, but more like:

Group 1- 20 min small group doing math journal page, 20 minutes of math games, 20 minutes of math boxes/basic skills review
Group 2- 20 min math games, 20 min math boxes/skills review, 20 min small group doing math journal page with me... etc.

I am thinking about my high group and am struggling to decide what to do with them. This is a group who would be able to tackle the math journal page and math boxes within 20 minutes without my help. I was thinking of having them rotate between 20 minutes of independent practice (math journal/math boxes), 20 minutes of math games, 20 minutes of some sort of challenge activity. Since they will be doing this EVERY day for 20 minutes, I am hesitant to think of something that will require LOTS of copies or prep work on my end. However, I wouldn't be opposed to creating a math challenge workbook sort of thing for them to do, as long as it is valuable practice. I was thinking of making it more geared to state testing prep, as these are probably my only kids that will score proficient on our state math test... but I would LLOVEEE to hear some advice from GT people. I am SO geared towards working with low students (as most of my kids are so low) that I struggle to know what to do with my high ones! Thanks so much in advance!

jmbear86 is offline   Reply With Quote

jmbear86

Old 01-17-2009, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

whoops- I meant to say stations rotations for 60 minutes (3 different activites for 20 min. each). Also, the curriculum is Everyday Math if that makes a difference.
jmbear86 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Using Menus
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got some great books at our GT conference - Differentiating with Menus. The author is Laurie Westphall. I've recommended them to several classroom teachers and shared some of the menus with them. They seem to be liking the ones I shared.. and thinking of buying the books. I can email you the forms that Ms. Westphall shared with us in the conference handout if you'll PM me your email address to give you an idea of what they look like.

Or here's a link to the "shared" menus on her website:
http://www.giftedconsultant.com/menu...ing%20page.htm
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote