Help

ESL/LEP

5th Grader no English HELP!!!

>

snick

5th Grader no English HELP!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just had a new student transfer in to my school that speaks no english. He's from El Salvador. We are still checking but it appears that there may NOT have been any schooling since 2nd grade. I am VERY thankful to have the bilingual students that I have in my classroom. I am not bilingual. Those students have been a great help to me.

Unfortunately our ESL department is overwhelmed right now and my student is being overlooked somewhat.

What can I do? I keep pairing him with students and have them help him. He copies things in English or has the opportunity to respond in Spanish. I sit with him when I can and we work on words together. But I just feel like I'm not doing enough for him.

Any ideas?

snick is offline   Reply With Quote

Wild4Teaching

pictures!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Using as many pictures or real life objects as possible is a huge help. Also, graphic organizers and group activities.
Wild4Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

tesstea

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

He will learn a lot from his peers.
Remember that social language comes along a LOT quicker than the level needed for academics.
If he is literate in Spanish, keep a Spanish-English dictionary on your desk that the kids can use when they get stuck and you're busy with something. That way, they can start to help themselves.
tesstea is offline   Reply With Quote