Help

Gifted Education

Whole School Enrichment Model

>

sec

Whole School Enrichment Model
Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been selected to take over our current gifted program next year. We currently have 1-5 grade 1/2 day and begin K in late January. We used to have a full day program, but teachers were having difficulty getting the fact that the students didn't really need to complete the classwork missed...mainly because it was redundant.

It is our district's hope to eventually offer a school wide model which will offer enrichment opportunities for all. Does anyone have any experience with the whole school method? Pros? Cons? Resources that we should check into. We will be working closely with Dr. Brian Reid who was trained with the Renzulli method and has many great ideas and resources. Any ideas are welcome

Last edited by sec; 01-27-2009 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add some details...
sec is offline   Reply With Quote

dash

Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

SEM by Renzulli is great. Our district is implementing it slowly, but surely. I have some friends that have been using it for years, and it works wonderfully.
Go on their website - NEAG , Uconn school of education, you can get a lot of information there. Books are great too - a lot of examples and information
dash is offline   Reply With Quote

sec

Sem
Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your post How exactly did your school go about implementation? Were there roadblocks and how was that handled? We have 2 elementary schools that have @ 1400 students altogether. A disconnect is occuring now because of how we've structured the program - the other school's kids are bussed over.

Does your state fund your program or do you use grants and private donors?

Have you ever attended a Confratute? I am hoping to get to one...but as always our district has tight funding.

dash

Old 02-06-2009, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi there,
I did not check this post for a while...
I work in a big district - we have 10 elementary schools, and 1.4 teachers... SO, it is teh 2nd year that we implement GT program. 1 st year we worked with the students that were recommended by their classroom teachers - Grades 4 & 5 only. About 8-12 kids per grade level. We did FPS program with them (future problem solving - you can check online) and were working on developing the curr. for teh next year (and all teh other paper work). Our super is supporting GT education (so far), so we are trying to built a program.
This year, since we have an additional .4 teacher, we started with LA program, and gave COGAT tests for grade 4 and 5 students. Late Feb.- beginning March we will probably have our identified group of kids. Next year we'll give COGATs for 4and 3 graders, and so on...
It is definetly WORTH going to Confratute. You will get great training and a lot of useful information that you'll be able to implemet right away.
Hope it helps...
dash is offline   Reply With Quote

sec

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'm looking forward to the opportunity as well as the challenges