Help

The Job Search

Here's a new one

>

*Annie*

Here's a new one
Old 06-21-2006, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm starting to see this phrase in job postings: "highly qualified status required." Anyone know what exactly this means?

*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

trailpaint

No, but I could give my interpretation...
Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whoever spits out all the right answers at the interview without actually being observed teaching. (Smile...I don't sound bitter do I?)
trailpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

It means
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you need to meet the requirements of NCLB and be a highly qualified teacher according to their definition.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Helen

Highly qualified
Old 06-21-2006, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our state, a teacher must submit proof that they are "highly qualified". This means going to a specific website, and answering a few questions about experience, education, etc. You are then told whether you are highly qualified for a position. All teachers had to submit proof or they had to proove they were taking classes to rectify the situation. If you are not highly qualified, the district will work with you to see that you become so.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote

techteacher

Nclb
Old 06-21-2006, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Highly qualified has to do with NCLB. Each state sets its own criteria for what it considers to be "highly qualified" in their area. Check with your state department of education web site for more information about this. This mainly affects those who are teaching "out of field" like a teacher certified in elementary ed cannot teach special education. Hope this helps.

techteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Teaching inTX

Teaching inTX

Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It may be related to the NCLB bill where teachers are certified for the subjects that they teach. Many people in the public feel that kids are not prepared for the future because the teachers are not qualified. So, I believe that is why there is a push to have "highly qualified teachers."
katyteach1st

katyteach1st

Highly qualified
Old 06-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my state we had to meet with the heads of personnel individually and they told us whether or not we were considered highly qualified. We had to sign a formal document to acknowledge that we were told our status and then we were given a certificate of sorts that they said would be good to show to any district because it shows that we are highly qualified and it shows what criteria was used to determine the status.

A little side note one of the teachers at the school was let go at the end of the year because they said she did not meet the criteria for being highly qualified. This was her first year teaching and she has a full, current, brand new credential issued by the state and she is teaching within the subject area she was credentialed in. The problem is the criteria for a credential in the state and the criteria for being highly qualified (at least in my district) are two different things.

Kiki

Highly Qualified
Old 06-22-2006, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here you are highly qualified if you are certified in the subject you teach, in other words, you aren't teaching out of field.
Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote