Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 Reading/Math Teacher interview help

>

flutterbee123

Title 1 Reading/Math Teacher interview help
Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever worked for a third party company who hires Title 1 teachers to work in particular school systems? I had a phone interview the other day that went quite well and I will be speaking to the decision making person sometime this week for a second interview. I have been a Grade 2/3 classroom teacher this past year at a private school, and previously worked as a Grade 3 inclusion teacher in public for 3 years. I would appreciate any help/advice as to what might be looked for in a Title 1 interview that isn't directly with a school. I have also never worked in an inner city elementary school before, so any help with that would also be appreciated. Thanks.

flutterbee123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 08-17-2008, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had the opportunity to be a part of the interview process on a couple different occasions for Title I - once for a teacher that would be working with me and once for hiring an assistant.

When we interviewed for the teacher position the administrators asked general questions and I asked more specific questions. I wanted to know their thoughts and knowledge on reading frameworks, if they were familiar with DIBELS, DRAs and guided reading, for example. I wanted to know how they worked with small groups and how they would work with the rest of the staff. I would also ask them what they knew about Title I, had they worked in a school that had Title I (was the school targeted assisted or school wide Title). Personally, for me, personality and flexibility were key factors; people who came in and were very self-oriented turned me off. While you have to be confident in what you are doing, you also have to be flexible, but you can't let other teachers dictate what you will do with their children, espcecially if it doesn't follow Title I guidelines.

Good Luck.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

flutterbee123

Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your help!

SweetTea

Questions
Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was hired this summer as a Title I teacher. However, it was not through an third party. I am a first year teacher and completed a team interview. I will be working with students from K-5 with reading only (not math - yet). The questions they asked mirrored those mentioned by Susan/IN. Here are some I remember:

Classroom management (small groups and grouping)

Student motivation (How will I keep these students interested?)

Technology (How will I use technology in my lessons?)

RtI (Response to Intervention) and supporting data (What did I know about it and where do I see myself in the process)?

Progress Monitoring Students - (what methods will you use and how will you track it and use it to guide instruction?)

Networking with Staff as well as being a resource - This school has used mainly pull-out---they are wanting to move to a push-in. They want someone who will collaborate with classroom teachers.

Explain how you would diagnosis a reading problem (IRI, benchmarks, teacher input) and then explain what strategies you would use for students with issues such as fluency (slow choppy reader), comprehension (cannot make inferences), and Phonics/Phonemic Awareness (mixes long and short vowels sounds).

I hope this helps. With your experience you probably know more than I do, but I thought I share my experiences. Best wishes to you!
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Daisy May

I have an interview too
Old 08-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have an interview on Friday also with a 3rd party company. Wonder if it's the same one? I was curious if you had your interview and how did it go?
This position is for private schools (which I have no experience with) I have worked in the inner center however. I found it to be challenging in whole group classrooms. If it's a pull out situation it should be easier. Kids are kids on a whole. I found the parents to not be present that much. They may not see the value of education but that's where a Title 1 teacher can help because in small groups you can help them feel more successful and that takes away the frustration level ie behavior problems.
Good Luck!

Daisy May is offline   Reply With Quote

flutterbee123

Finally offered a job!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry I didn't reply back sooner, but today I was finally offered the title 1 job in a large public inner city school system. I was wondering if you had also been hired at the private schools you wrote about. I am quite clueless about all of this since it is my first time working for a 3rd party company, but I am finally hopefully because even though school has started around here, I am going to be teaching after all. If you have any information you can share, I would appreciate it. Thank you!