Help

Gifted Education

Community service

>

maryteach

Community service
Old 08-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really would like to get my GT kids involved with some sort of service work, some way of giving back to the community, by volunteering. I would like to hear if anyone on this board has ever done this with their kids. What did you have them do? Did they choose from a couple of options?

We won't have transportation out of the neighborhood, so it has to be something very close to the school. I hesitate to do trash pick up, because this is a poor neighborhood, and I'm afraid they'll run across stuff like condoms or syringes (or a body--just joking--sort of).

Anyway, does anyone have experience or suggestions?

maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ebwuga

in the same boat
Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also teach at a more rural school and would like to get the kids involved in community outreach (girl and boy scouts isn't a big thing here)... so, I don't have any ideas for you-but maybe we can come up with some together?
ebwuga is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Well
Old 08-20-2008, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

maybe we could have our kids go to the elementary school once a week and tutor special needs kids. I don't know of any nursing homes in the area, or I would take them there to read to people. I wish we had a Humane Society or Dumb Friends League nearby.

MizBee

Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am planning to run a workshop with my gifted students this year in which they choose their own service project. I am hoping that if i give them the parameters, they will be able to think of something worthwhile. I am going to say that it can be something for the school or something for the community, but most of the work must be done at the school.

If they choose somethign outside of the school, they could do something like sending greeting cards to soldiers, hospital patients, or shut-ins. They might bake cookies for a seniors home, although that has a cost involved that they would need to raise. they could also invite people to come speak to their class about small problems in the community and ways they can help.

not sure where my workshop will take us, but im excited. i hope it works out for you, as well!
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

MizBee
Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love your ideas! I really do! Why on earth should I be the one to think of what they'll do? Thank you for reminding me that a good teacher facilitates, but she doesn't run the show. Of course the kids should choose their own projects--of course they should! How else in the world are they ever supposed to have ownership of it, otherwise?

I also love the idea of letting them invite speakers in. That's a great idea.

Really, this is the way I'd like to do this. Thank you so much for responding to my thread. If you feel inclined to share any of the details of how you do this, or what some of the projects have been, I'd sure love to read it. Thanks again.

MizBee

Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

JEAN E-- SUCH a fantastic idea. We did a unit on inventions last year, and the students thought of great ideas to fill a need, but how wonderful to help others while doing so. I will have to file this idea for next time we do inventions!

MizBee

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Maryteach--
It's my first time, too, but let's be in touch about how we go about it! I could use ideas!