The Job Search

Hawaii jobs

>

angie d.

angie d.

freelance tutor
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

hi silvia, i am a freelance tutor in the Philippines, i have a bachelors degree in architecture at the moment i am mentoring kids from kindergarten to grade five. i have been helping some of these kids since they started going to school. is there any possibility of my joining your service on line? i have been tutoring english profeciency to the wives of many expats here hin angeles.

if there is any possibility pleas let me know, ok?

angie

Silvia

Silvia

Hawaii jobs
Old 10-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just found this site and although I'm not a teacher I am very involved in education since I own a tutotring service and I work at a Montessori center. Anyways, has anyone try or feel like moving to Hawaii?. I remember that back in august they announced a shortage of 400 teachers. Someone I know was moving at the end of August and I told him about the news and he actually got a job two weeks after moving and he DIDN"T have any teaching experience. He is 24 and had just graduated back in June.
DeAnna

DeAnna

Old 10-27-2005, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Sylvia! I am hoping for a reply to this. I have considered doing this off and on as I worked toward my Teaching Certificate. Now that it is almost here, I am getting more and more interested. Let's hope someone replies who can give us advice!
JT

JT

Taught in Hawaii
Old 11-14-2005, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught in Hawaii a few years ago. The area where I grew up (NY state) had very few jobs for elementary teachers so I went on an interview and took a position. By the way, the interview was very easy. I was hired on the spot.

I liked living in Hawaii although you will definetly need a roommate because rents are very high-as is everything else ($6 for a gallon of milk for example). I enjoyed teaching in Hawaii. The kids I taught (3rd graders, low socio-economic status) were great. In fact, they were the most well behaved I have ever taught.

The teachers union in Hawaii is very strong which is a great plus. You have ample sick days given to you in the beginning of the contract year.

There are more things I can say, so if you have specific questions let me know.
Hawaii Girl

Hawaii Girl

Old 01-24-2006, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

HI. I just moved to Hawaii and yes the shortage of teachers is acute here. The state needs teachers and subs. I graduated with my ed degree in June of 05 and did not line up a position before moving. My advice to the person who is completing your degree: utilize your professors and university to land a position before coming. Go to job fairs that Hawaii's Department of Education participates in. And most important, be prepared for high cost of living and lots of traffic. Lastly, the DOE will probably place a new teacher on the Leeward side of the Oahu before placing elsewhere in the county. Good luck!

AW

AW

Teach For America
Old 01-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just looked on the website Teach for America org. They are adding Hawaii as a site. Teach for America is a Corps program and will hire you to teach in needy areas, get your crendital at the same time, and forgive student loans. I would look into it, the deadline for applc. is Feb 17th. They also have good descriptions of what it is like to live and teach there. So if nothing else you can read what they have to say. Good Luck!
Nan

Nan

Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teach for America tends to hire those who don't have teaching degrees (Oh the irony) and those who are very young. This means that another source of jobs has dried up for those of us who do have degrees in teaching and have a few extra years on us. Leave it to the government to play this game. Now I would like to get a registered nursing job without going to college and studying that - and be allowed to learn on the job - but quess what - no other career other than teaching allows that kind of garbage.