Help

The Job Search

Good questions to ask interview team?

>

2ndchance

Good questions to ask interview team?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an interview tomorrow at a school I have subbed exclusively at for two years. I even attended the inservice days leading up to the start of school, so I am very familiar with the ins and outs of the school. I am having a hard time thinking of questions to ask at the end of the interview and am told I should ask at least one. I would like to ask when a starting date for the job would be. I need to think of a few back ups. Any suggestions on good questions to ask?

2ndchance is offline   Reply With Quote

scout475

Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always ask about professional development opportunities.
scout475 is offline   Reply With Quote

formerexpat

Expected changes?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ask if any changes to the curriculum are being planned? Will they be implementing a new math or reading program, for example?

Ask what is the most important "strength" they are looking for in their new staff member...and then THINK FAST, telling them how YOU have that particular characteristic!

Good luck! I'm sending positive vibes your way!
formerexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
goingtoteach

goingtoteach

questions
Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will agree with you that this is an awkward part of the interview. There have been times when they ask me at the end of the interview if I have any questions, and I've occasionally said that they have pretty much covered things if they actually were very complete with the interview. I think you could ask anything they've failed to cover, and these are some I've actually asked:

1. Could you describe your reading program for me?
2. How long will it take for you to get back to me? (Yes, some have failed to give me this information!)
3. Do teachers keep their grades on the computer?
4. Any unanswered questions about school programs: tutoring, etc.

Always keep in mind that you are being screened, and you shouldn't ask questions that could be asked if you are hired: salary and benefits, etc.

I think that asking questions helps them realize that you are doing your homework as a teacher. Also, make sure you mention something about their Web page: philosophy of education, school mission, etc. Tie yourself in as closely to the job you are applying for as possible.