Help

Gifted Education

book study

>

mathtch2

book study
Old 09-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a great book or books to do a book study with my 5th grade GT kids. I would love to hear about any books that your kids just absolutely loved on their own or that you have done a book study with. Thanks in advance!!

mathtch2 is offline   Reply With Quote

janiebird19

Old 09-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Phantom Tollbooth is one I've done for a number of years. The students really enjoy the wordplay in the book. It also has a message about the importance of learning.

Last year I did Witness by Karen Hesse for the 1st time. It is a very powerful book with an interesting poetic writing style. This is a story about how the Klan tries to take over a small New England town. It is told through the eyes of a number of citizens of the town including two children. Some of the characters are sympathetic and others are not. The other two books students could select during this study were The Watsons go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis, Roll of Thunder Hear Me Cry by Margaret Hamilton.

I am planning to do at least one lit study with a baseball theme this year. The books I am planning to use are Stealing Home: The Story of Jackie Robinson, In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (still sports related, but I think it might appeal to my primarily female reading class) and The Boy Who Saved Baseball (jury is still out since this will be its first viewing).
janiebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote