Help

Gifted Education

twice exceptional

>

Teddi9192

twice exceptional
Old 10-02-2008, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My son is considered twice exceptional (gifted & adhd). Anyone have any good advice I can give his teacher. She is really iritating me with her practices. (His desk is seperated from all the others, no enrichment except longer assignments - hello adhd. Giving him detention daily if he doesn't complete a paper in time) I am currently teaching across the hall from his class room and I can see him all by himself etc. I am part of her grade level team so I have to be very careful but she isn't following his 504 at all.

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Just a thought...
Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a friend and colleague whose daughter attended our school. Because she taught there, she had her husband handle all "issues" that came up. Would your husband be willing to deal with it? Perhaps call an ARD because your child's IEP is not being met? You could be there as the other parent, but let him be the main spokesperson? She just felt it was easier and more open when it wasn't a "coworker" meeting with the teacher...

It also sounds like the teacher isn't very informed on differentiating for gifted kids or on ADHD.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
kinderbug

kinderbug

Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would say he needs enrichment, not extra work. Things like creative projects where he has to solve a problem and explain his reasoning, but things that aren't so time consuming that he loses interest/focus. Ask if she knows of any activities he could do that are extensions of the current coursework. He also may need extra time to complete assignments AND the extensions due to the adhd. Let her know if you think he needs more time. As far as I know, she has to give it to him (you may need a doctor to send a note stating this).

Artbex

I teach a twice exceptional student.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

He loves to build with K'nex, he builds 8' tall towers that have moving parts, spin,etc. That is his reward for doing his other work we do in class. The last 15-30 minutes of class we have free choice. If he finishes his work earlier and it is good quality and shows effort, I let him go then. He'll probably be an architect or engineer when he grows up. I didn't think teachers could discriminate by isolating students like that
That sounds so awful! I would request that not be done to any child if I were you. It sounds like his teacher is clueless, maybe she needs some ideas. I make sure I don't do things like that because it is discrimination and illegal here.
Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Things are improving
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The principal sat in on her class to observe another student but was actually observing my son as well. She recomended that he be moved to the back row with an extra desk or two to move around to. He stands most of the day so it works well. She has started to allow him to complete his work in novel ways. (Actually cutting and pasting answers rather than writing, numbering within the story etc) She is allowing him to read when he gets frustrated (a huge comfort). He is on alternate reading - (this is an independent reading program for advanced readers - self designed). They are retesting him to see if he will qualify for other services such as OT (very talented artist but painfully slow at writing)

I am having a consultant come in to meet with us as to other ideas. She is working with an after school program he is in and when I asked her her impressions with no background she said twice exceptional and good luck. This was after seeing him for 15 minutes. (Her son is an adult but had the same issues, the good luck was kind not snotty - she has been there)

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote