Help

Gifted Education

Christmas Activities for gifted

>

lukedgizmo

Christmas Activities for gifted
Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for some activities to use for the holidays with my 4th and 5th grade gifted students. I have several math units already, but would love something for my 4th grade Language Arts group. If anyone has anything, any subject, let me know!

lukedgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What kind of math activities are you doing in your unit? (I'm assuming they're related to Christmas.) I've never found a lot of activities for Christmas, but last year in our journals we wrote about things like; "name as many uses as you can for a candy cane", or "describe how a Christmas light bulb and a candy cane are alike", or "how would you hide a reindeer/polar bear until Christmas if you were giving it as a gift", and "if you could be any kind of Christmas decoration, what would you be and why". I would like to have more ideas than that myself, too.
I am thinking of
having them make Christmas tangrams. The following website has some, but you could also have them try to come up with their own.

http://tangrams.ca/inner/xmastans.htm
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

A Couple of Ideas
Old 11-26-2008, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Every year we put up a 12 foot Christmas tree at our house. Since I am less than half the height of the tree, it is easy to see that decorating it is always a challenging task. As a result, I have my students "invent" something to help me decorate the upper part of the tree.
There are a few rules:
1. It must be based on real things (no magic wands or floating ornaments, etc.)
2. Must be economical to purchase.
3. Must be able to navigate around all sides of the tree and not be intrusive to the home.
4. Easily stored for yearly use.

We research patents and complete a patent application including detailed description, labled drawings from various angles of the product. Presentation to the patent office (me) will be made and a 30 to 60 second commercial to the class will be required. (You could extend this to a small group infomercial.) You can also poll the class and chart/graph whether classmates would buy each invention.

As an extension, have the students each come up with another holiday issue to solve and repeat the process.

You might consider having the class write and produce a holiday play.

How about rewriting or extending a holiday story by writing the next chapter.

I hope this helps.
"Mrs. Gorf" is offline   Reply With Quote

michelb366

Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A few years ago I did a project around the 12 days of Christmas with my 4th graders. I gave them the current cost of each item, and they had to calculate the totals. You could have them research online the actual costs, both with and without the repeating gifts. Here's an older article to give you an idea.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/28/news...etag/index.htm

I found a unit online somewhere, but I'm out of town so I can't access my files.
Michelle
michelb366 is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

PNC Bank
Old 11-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I couldn't get the link from the previous poster to open so my ideas may be duplicates but this is what I do with my third graders.

PNC will have the current costs of each item of the 12 Days of Christmas if purchased on the internet or as goods/services. (They will have the 2008 prices available Dec. 1.)
http://www.pncchristmaspriceindex.com/CPI/index.html

I get half of my class to calculate the internet cost and the other half to calculate it the other way. We make a guess which way we think will be the most expensive.

I have the prices from the past few years that I have been doing this and if we have time, we compare the prices and chart the items using multicolored line graphs to see the changes in individual gifts.

An extension on this idea is to rewrite the song with more modern gifts, research the cost (both internet and good/services). Calculate shipping/transportation and maintainence(food for any animals, etc.)

"Mrs. Gorf" is offline   Reply With Quote

michelb366

Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, that's the site. I'm actually doing a twist on this. My kids will find where on the internet they can actually purchase these items and will compete with each other to find the best bargains. They must create an Excel document with price, shipping, and website they found the item on. We'll compete in both areas - cumulative gifts and non-cumulative.
When they are done, I will have them find "alternate" products - for example, maids a' milking could be replaced with a gallon of milk! Gets those brains working outside the box!

Here is another link about it: http://www.pncchristmaspriceindex.co...ketGame-07.pdf

Michelle
michelb366 is offline   Reply With Quote

lukedgizmo

math activities
Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do a gingerbread math unit with my 5th graders. It covers area, perimeter, volume, budgeting, and more. They love it!!! With my fourth graders I do a Christmas shopping unit. They actually make a checkbook, shop, figure tax, shipping, and more. This one is also fun!

The other thing I do is a logic puzzle called The Case of Santa's Black Mail. This is the first year I've done this, but the LOVE it!

lukedgizmo

Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I want activities that truly make them think. I really need some things for Language Arts over the next couple of weeks. I want them to be fun, but I really want them to use their higher level thinking skills. They also need to be activities/lessons that can be done fairl quickly. (An hour or so)

lukedgizmo

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow! I like the idea of the 12 days of Christmas and changing the gifts to make them think outside the box. I also like the writing prompts for language arts, and I know they would LOVE the invention idea. I can't wait to try these out with my kids this week, and also to share them at an AIG meeting tomorrow.
THanks!
Jamie
KatKochak

KatKochak

Mrs. K
Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Your ideas sound interesting - would it be possible to get a copy of the Christmas activities you mentioned? Thanks!!

tpendley

GT teacher
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Love this activity! Could you clarify how you do the goods and services. I understand the internet website and how to do it. If you have any worksheets that go with this I would love to have them. Thanks for your help!!!
Tonya
tpendley is offline   Reply With Quote

shanemps

Twelve Days Twist
Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Michelle, I like your idea of getting the students to think outside the box and come up with 'alternate' gifts. This made me think about giving students different scenerios and having them come up with gift ideas. For example What would a family from Haiti choose for their 12 days of Christmas, what would Mr. and Mrs. Claus ask for, or what would a Maple Tree want etc... I think my students will love this activity thanks for getting me thinking!!!
shanemps is offline   Reply With Quote
Tara12

Tara12

Christmas activities
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Luke,

Where do you get the logic puzzle The Case of Santa's Black Mail? I would love to get a copy.

starbucksmom1

The case of santas black mail sounds great!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Please post!!!!
starbucksmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MamaJJ0424

The case of Santa's blackmail
Old 12-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I can't find any book or further info on this activity. Where did you get your resources?
MamaJJ0424 is offline   Reply With Quote