Help

Fifth Grade

Teaching about Westward Expansion

>

suprchq

Teaching about Westward Expansion
Old 10-25-2005, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am beginning a unit on the West and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on activities I could do with my class besides using our Harcourt book. I know that 5th graders are notorious for disliking Social Studies, so I am trying to make it more hands on and interesting while at the same time not increasing my workload to the point where I am stressed out about the unit( I ama first year teacher).
Any ideas?

Thanks
Susannah

suprchq is offline   Reply With Quote

love5th

Board Game
Old 10-27-2005, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This won't necessarily help with teaching the content, but it is a great way for kids to work with the information. I did this with my 5th graders with our early explorers unit in Social Studies, and they all said it was the most fun they have had in S.S. in a long time. Once you go through the material, you can put the kids in groups and have them develop a board game. Start out by telling them it has to deal with westward expansion, and involve going from a starting point to an ending point. They must come up with the rules/objectives of the game, question cards, game pieces, and design the board on a large piece of poster board. You will be amazed at some of the finished products you get back. I felt like my kids learned so much from this while having a great time, and really using their imagination. You can email me if you want more details or the rubric I used.
love5th is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Video idea
Old 10-28-2005, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like to show the video Caddie Woodlawn. I have the students compare what life was like in the big cities to life on the frontier. This gets them excited about the chapter before we start.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote
5th grade T.

5th grade T.

Caddie Woodlawn question
Old 10-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mrs. G.-I haven't read Caddie Woodlawn. Does this book show what life was like in the big city, the frontier, or both? Would you read it to your class before showing the video?

Mrs. G

Caddie Woodlawn
Old 10-29-2005, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To be honest with you, I have not read the book. I have only watched the movie. It is about a family who lives on the frontier. They have a cousin who comes to stay with them from Boston. She is very proper and talks about how things are different. They also show dealings with the Native Americans and how different the view points were among those living there. It is a fun movie with some very sad parts, humorous parts, and scary parts. I think the book probably has a lot more detail. I just never find the time to fit it all in! My student always enjoy this. We do a compare and contrast activity afterward using a flap book (foldable - fold a sheet of paper in half and cut up the middle of the top layer only. Label the top with cities and frontier life or whatever fits for you) .

Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

love5th...board game rubric
Old 01-15-2006, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would love to have the details/rubric for your board game. I teach Reading and Soc. Studies in 5th, and am a new teacher, so this would be a great project for me to use in my class. Thanks!
Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Eakins

Eakins

teacher
Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

i would love the rubric! please email to me at amanda.eakins@beaufort.k12.sc.u s
Stevie Rae

Stevie Rae

Rubric!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would love the rubric as well please!

audriana

As a culminating activity for our westward
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

expansion unit, I had my 5th graders make a journal. We used tea to stain the fabric and paper and they had specific things that had to be included in their journal. They made maps of the Oregon Trail. They had to discuss interactions with the natives, hardships they faced, etc. (I had a rubric for the journal -- I no longer teach 5th, but I do something similar for our Jamestown unit.)

The kids loved it and I had kids who wouldn't write their own name, create amazing journals. (They also embroidered their names and a design on the front of their journals.)

They also created a trail guide.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote