Gifted Education

Choosing what is right???

>

TexasRose

TexasRose

Choosing what is right???
Old 02-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My class recently completed a unit on decimals (comparing and ordering, adding, subtracting). They did extremely well on all the competencies as we went through them. However, I gave them a test on Friday, and all but five of the students royally bombed it. I should say nine out of twenty failed. There were five who aced it. What do I do with these five as I reteach the other 17 decimals? Do I permit these five identified TAG students to do something independent, or do I utilize them as "teachers" for the other students? I'm thinking I divide the class into five groups, and then I can see where weaknesses lie based on hearing the five top students talk and converse with the others. Am I making any sense? Yet, I feel that I'm doing these five an injustice and not truly rewarding them for what they have learned. What would you do??? This is my first year teaching TAG students, and it has been a learning curve to say the least. Help!?!

janiebird19

Independent Project
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would reteach the students who did poorly and allow the others to work on something independently. Maybe they could work on creating a decimal related game or another fun math activity which enriches your current curriculum.

I agree that using them as tutors, while tempting, is not best practice for g/t students.
janiebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ventilated

Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I agree that using them as tutors, while tempting, is not best practice for g/t students.
I disagree. Teaching someone else how to do something has many positive spin offs. It helps consolidate understanding, and often in the process of teaching something, an "aha" moment will occur for the teaching student, even though they had already mastered the skill.

It also is a great way to develop communication skills, patience and empathy.

If you have access to a video recorder of some description, a fun, rewarding and useful activity can be to get the kids that have finished to create a video demonstrating the skills in question.

Beyond that, it depends on what your school's policy is regarding G&T. At mine we would get those kids working on the year above learning outcomes.

Sometimes I say to my early finishes "What would you like to do? You know the kind of things we do in school-what is appropriate-so if I gave you the choice, what would you do?"
Ventilated is offline   Reply With Quote

Ventilated

but
Old 02-09-2009, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Explaining how to do something is also a way of deepening understanding.

And I never said "using students as tutors simply because they have proven capable of a task." I agree that if that is the only reason you are doing it, it's a dodgy one at best.

I wasn't meaning that they should only do that either. Perhaps just one lesson and then I agree, as you say, take them up a level or get them to apply their learning.
Ventilated is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

the great debate
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I brought this up once on a gifted email list and asked parents. You'd be amazed how many parents do NOT want their children used as peer tutors. The majority of them felt that their child was not being taught, that they were being held back from progressing further in their learning to "teach" others. Many of them stated that their child was not there to be a teacher... they were there to learn.

So... that being said, I'd go with the independent project. Or, I'd thake those five to the next step and teach them how to multiply and divide decimals.

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote