Help

Gifted Education

twice exceptionals

>

yesteach

twice exceptionals
Old 02-20-2009, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK.. I have a situation of a sort. We've been screening our kindergarten students and I've identified a student for further testing who is autistic. When I screened the class the teacher said he's not required to do any formalized testing, according to his IEP. I told her it was up to her, if she wanted him to take it that was fine, if not that was fine also. I also told her his para could sit and help him mark his answers if the physical taking of the test was stressful to him. He could just point to the answers and she could mark them for him.

Does anyone have experience with gifted/autism? It's not an Asperger's diagnosis, it's "autism." Just wondering where to go from here... Our next test is administered orally, and I'll need parent permission to give it, so that may stop the whole process... but I'm just looking for some advice, I guess, incase the parents question me about the possibility of him participating in a gifted program...

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

bethygurl8

Common
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would say it is more common with aspergers, but many autistic children demonstrate abilities in particular areas. Often, it has to do with their pattern recognition skills.

I can participate, but his identification as gifted would not grant your school money on his behalf because he is already getting the school funding for being EC.

I would tell the parent's that it would be best to wait and see how the interventions are going first before worrying about enrichment.
bethygurl8 is offline   Reply With Quote