Help

Fifth Grade

Moving to 5th grade next year!!!

>

lala30

Moving to 5th grade next year!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been told that I will be teaching 5th grade next year, for one year. What is the most helpful thing to know about the kids this age, the expectations, and what I should accomplish? Is there anything that is a must to have for 5th grade? I have taught 2, 3/4, and 4th grade with the most experience in 4th grade. I love 4th grade because of their sense of humor and independence. Their attitude can stink, but they couldn't be perfect!

Any ideas for behavior management? I've used a pull chart for many years, but it is getting stale and my 4th graders are not motivated by it anymore....

Now I'm rambling...I'm just looking for ideas for next year. And counting down until the end of the quarter for this year!!!

lala30 is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

5th grade
Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love fifth graders! At the beginning of the year they are not much different from 4th graders, but throughout the year they become more mature. In my district 5th grade is the last year of elementary school so they have more responsibilities. Along with that come rewards.

Keep your expectations high, the children will rise to meet them. The most helpful thing to keep in mind is although they like to think of themselves as "big kids" they are still just that -kids.

Good luck with your move.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

chocaholic

love 5th too
Old 03-15-2009, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been in 5th for 4 years and love it (though I'm looping to 6th next year to try something new)

You will enjoy 5th graders. They are still "kids" though they try to be more mature. They still love projects that involve art, cutting, pasting, etc.

You can do more novel studies with them and they are able to look deeper. They generally still want to please you and will buy into a classroom behavior management system. You can still bribe them with a piece of candy!

Like 4th graders they are pretty intent on "what's fair" and you can see the beginnings of their friendships becoming even more of a central force in their lives.

They are looking for more independence yet they are still pretty immature. They still need some playtime.

Be forewarned that, depending on the class, March/April is when many of them start to mature a lot. Some really seem to develop overnight.

Keep hanging on this board, and good luck with your move. So far, 5th is my favorite!
chocaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

jmeanne

Behavior Mgt., Read alouds, Reading
Old 03-15-2009, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What's worked for me with 5th grade in terms of management are a couple of things.

1. We start the year by creating a "Respect Contract" with classroom rules in terms of how THEY want their environment to run - and then everyone signs it and we refer back to it as needed.

2. I use "Positive People Points" - these are just little slips of paper that are given out for good work, behavior, attitude etc. (I NEVER TAKE THEM AWAY!!!!) They also, at the beginning of the year, brainstorm ideas for rewards for the points -- they give ideas and the ones I approve of I assign a point value for. They then use their points to redeem awards like - treasure box (yes 5th graders still like this!), extra computer time, lunch in the classroom, etc. One thing I like to do with this is put a couple of really high point goals on the chart - like 300 points for donuts and orange juice for breakfast or 250 popcorn and movie during lunch. At first the kids only use the points for things for themselves, but every year i've done this a couple decide they want one of the bigger prizes and then they all work together and share points to get it. It's a nice team builder.

3. Homework/Behavior book - When a student has an issue they sign the behavior/homework book. They write the infraction and the date and their name and I talk to them about it. At 5 they get a note home, at 10 a conference, at 15 an office referral. If the behavior is more severe I have a reflection note that THEY fill out that goes home that day. At the end of each grading period I "wipe the slate clean" in terms of the behaviors (aka file it in their file so I can refer to it later as needed) and they start with a new sheet. These are great to have around for conference time!

Also, 5th graders still really love being read to. Some titles that I've done and the kids have loved are:

Flipped
Bud Not Buddy
Watsons Go to Birmingham
Wait til Helen Comes
Lily's Crossing
Number the Stars
Hoot
Fighting Ground
Lightning Thief
Hatchet (I personally hate this one, but they love it)
Thing about Georgie
Rules
Out of the Dust (this is a good one to read selections from)
Maniac McGee

5th grade also opens the door to a lot more books than some grade levels would be ready for in terms of comprehension and maturity. However, you still get some really really reluctant readers at this age. It would be a good idea to talk to some other 5th grade teachers and the librarian so that when they can't find a book they "like" you have a variety of titles to recommend. Poetry is great for them too - Judith Viorst, Sara Holbrook, and some of the old favorites too (like Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky, etc). Sara Holbrook is a new fave of mine. My girls really loved her book, "I Never Said I Wasn't Difficult"

I apologize because some of this is stuff you probably already know, but to me these are some of the most crucial things.
jmeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

txfrog

I agree with all above....
Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love 5th. grade. I have been teaching them for 10 years.

Here are some books I have used in my classroom with success:

Tale of Despeareaux
Sign of the Beaver
Night of the Twisters
Call it Courage
Little House on the Prairie
Maniac Magee, too
Hoot, too
Chocolate Fever/Chocolate War

I, too, do Positive Behavior, call it Brownie Points,
when class gets the 24 points--I make brownies, or cookies, whatever they want.

I also have individual positive behavior, tickets -- caught doing.... Then, at end of two weeks, I have store where they get to buy items.

For team building, I have cones that have positive words on them. I place one on a group that is working hard and showing respect to each other.
Then, that group gets to have free time, usually ten minutes after lunch--play on computer, put puzzles together or just sit on floor in library and talk.

Well, these are just ideas and they have worked for me.

Congrats, on your new position, and you will love them.

txfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

juli5772

Moving Up
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am just completing my 1st year in 5th grade. It has been a wonderful experience. What helped me was that I was able to get all my students from 4th grade back in my classroom. We already had our routines established so we didn't need that extra time at the beginning of the year to establish that. I also knew their weaknesses and their strengths. The 5th graders start having attitude; however they are still like 4th graders...good sense of humor and very independent. I found that I couldn't use happy face and sad face with them for behavior management so I decided to use a banking system. I created jobs in my classroom and paid my students a salary for their jobs. I also included attendance...you have to come to "work" to get paid. At the end of the week they had to complete a slip of paper that had their job, salary, attendance (including tardies). The slip of paper included a deduction for "rent" (desk), they also had fines and random donations. They were to calculate it. If they did it correctly they got paid, if they undercharged then they got cheated out of money. If they overcharged me they lost their salary for trying to steal. I had salaries and job listing posted. They also had to have good scores/grades in math to be allowed to be the bank manager. In 5th grade the place value goes up to the billions....so their jobs salaries also went to the billions, depending on the job. Their fines could also go into the upper place value. The bank manage was in charge of maintaining the amount of money each child had in the bank. At the end of the week, the Store manager and sales associate opened up the class store and sold goodies to the class. They would write a check or a charge slip for their purchases. The bank manager had to turn in the charge slips and checks to the bank manager who then deducted from each child's account. It seems like a lot of work but the students actually do most of it. I also included payment for Random Acts of Kindness and fines for Random Acts of Meanness.
In my class I would post the jobs, salaries and fees and fines so that the students would remember. It worked really great, I have an awesome class that really cares for each other and we get to have more time for instruction since discipline isn't a problem.
juli5772 is offline   Reply With Quote
irish0418

irish0418

going into grade 5!!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hello! I've been teaching 7th grade for the last 3 years and just found out I will be moving to the 5th grade next school year. I'm very nervous because I have an 11month old baby at home and plan on having another w/in the next 2 years!

My concern is losing time w/ my family because of moving to a new position which means more hours planning. Right now I know exactly where I'm going next week...month...etc. Also, I'm moving down to the Elementary School so the new hours will be: I go in 1 hour later and get out 1 hour later.

Should I ask to stay in my position or is moving to 5th a good idea?

Any thoughts?
MrsHoot

MrsHoot

Would like more info!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi! I love your system and was already thinking of doing something like that when I came across your post. I haven't figured out the strategics yet and am very interested in how yours works. DO they have papers in their desks that help them keep track of their salaries, fines, bonuses that sort of stuff? I was originally thinking of handing out dollars, but it might make sense to have bank managers who do that at the end of the week according to the students' check registers. How do you make sure that they write in their fines and aren't sneaky about it? Do you keep a list of students that you fine?

And my other question... I am thinking of using about 13 jobs, but obviously I will have more than that many students. Do the students who don't have a job for the week still get a salary or do you just award them attendance?

Thanks!!

Hideeho

Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

lala30 - I'm going to try to post a link to something on the board several days ago that might help. I've only taught 5th grade one year, but I have truly enjoyed it!

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=159980
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr Seuss fan

txfrog:
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do you use patterns for Brownie Points? If so, can you send them or direct me to the website?

Dr Seuss fan is offline   Reply With Quote