Help

Fifth Grade

Poll:First day Icebreakers??

>

tillmadd

Poll:First day Icebreakers??
Old 08-01-2006, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well it is now Aug. and I return to school 8/30 & the students 9/5 please help w/ your ideas and suggestions for first week icebreaker activities. Since it has been so hot my creativity is running low!!!

tillmadd is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

ice breakers
Old 08-01-2006, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 3rd, but I did the same ones with 5th. There are a few I'm going to do:

1. People Bingo
2. Double bubble comparing/contrasting you and a partner
3. Mystery student - their first homework assignment - they have to fill a bag with 5 items telling about themselves, and we try to guess who the person is. I open them throughout the 2nd day.

It seems like there are more, but now I can't remember them!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tillmadd

double-bubble
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

can you explain it a little more pls?
tillmadd is offline   Reply With Quote

silpada girl

ice breakers
Old 08-02-2006, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am struggling with the same concerns. This is my first year teaching 5th grade. I have a few suggestions that I may use the first week.
I was going to ask if anyone thought biopoems were too difficult for fifth graders. If they were not, I was going to have them write biopoems and put them on a t-shirt cutout(as soon as I can find one).

I was also going to have them interview a partner and introduce them to the class.
silpada girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Brejay100

Silpada
Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you have a template of the questions that are used for the interview?

Brejay100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hailey

Hailey

first couple days
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi....I have only been teaching for one year so I've only seen one first day of school with my fifth graders. I was VERY nervous last year and am looking forward to not feeling like that this year! Some things I did on the first day/couple days were.....matching puzzle pieces that they had to find their partner and then decorate the puzzle w/ things that interested them....I wrote them a letter that was on their desk when they came in and they wrote me one back for hw the first nite (this worked GREAT), "mystery person w/ three clues...the last one being the most obvious...the kids loved guessing the mystery person, we lined up by birthday, we went outside and did human knots, interview a partner and bring in one item in a bag that really described something important about them and write about their partner.....the first day I shared my me bag and they quizzed me on the item inside..., start the book I was reading out loud to them, some graphing activities where they had to use sticky notes to put their vote down on the graph (what is your favorite fast food place? what is your favorite subject? what kind of pet do you have? make the graphs big enough they can hang around the room and kids can circulate.....I had them do a teambuilding activity where I gave each table a box of spaghetti (hard) and a roll of tape and they had 30 minutes to build the tallest structure....that was really fun....they filled out a "survivor fifth grade" worksheet becase that was my them, it just asked favorites and I took a picture of them....really cute to give back at the end of the year since they changed/grew up so much!....we also did a art project with their name. It's a little confusing so I'm going to slow down here.....you give them a piece of paper. IN CAPITALS, they write out their name, BUT each letter has to touch the top and bottom of the paper and if it's on the side, the side too. Then the student has to color in EACH section that has been created a different color. The name kind of gets lost in the artwork....it's fun to figure out eachothers. I;m sure you'll get it if you try it. Ok....that's just some ideas that worked for me, Good luck!!!

INtchr

autobiopoem
Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

See the post before this one about biopoems. I posted another idea using "autobiopoems".
INtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

sue81

people search
Old 08-03-2006, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One thing that I do the first day is a people search. They each get a piece of paper with 16 squares and each square has a statement. They have to find a person who that statement applies to. ex. Find someone who went on vacation this year. Find someone who plays football. The rules are that each person can only sign each sheet once.
sue81 is offline   Reply With Quote

INtchr

Summer's in the Bag
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

First, I wanted to thank Hailey for some great ideas. I am going to use the letter to me for homework and the spaghetti structure. It will be a real hoot to see the teams work. I also thought of another activity I did last year. The bulletin board said, "Summer's In The Bag." The children were given a white bag (white ones like they use for Valentine's or lunch bags). They got to decorate the front with a scene from their summer. For homework, they filled it with 2-3 items that symbolized something they did during the summer (pictures, tickets, trinkets, ribbons, sand, goggles, t-shirt, etc). Throughout the week, students took turns presenting their bag items. Afterwords, we discussed details that went with each item and wrote a 3-5 paragraph composition. I put their writing, one item from their bag that could be stapled, and the bag itself and stapled it to a large bulletin board in our hallway. Parents, students, and staff enjoyed reading their stories and looking at the different items stapled to the wall.
INtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

jcostigan

Double Buubles
Old 08-03-2006, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Someone was asking about Double Buubles. For the activity described you would need everyone to be working in partners. The partners work together to make one Double Bubble map. The map starts off with two circles about 3" apart on a sheet of blank paper. The students write their names in the separate circles, so each student thier own Bubble. Then the student talk about things they like, thier family, where they are from. Basically they are brainstroming to see what they have in common. The write the things they have in common in circles between their name bubbles.
They draw lines connecting the thing they have in common to both of their name bubbles. Then things they do not have in common they would write out to the side of their bubble and only draw a line connecting the things to their own Name bubble.

I hope this help. It sounds confusing, but I can't add an attachment yet. Sorry.

jcostigan is offline   Reply With Quote

mlle.b

Double Bubble
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So if I understand correctly, the Double Bubble activity is done in a Venn Diagram?
mlle.b is offline   Reply With Quote

jcostigan

Double Bubble
Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It is not a venn diagram no, but it is the same idea. Instead of two overlapping circles, you have two main circles with "describing" circles all around them joined by lines. Kind of like a web.

Go to this website to see an example http://www.thinkingmaps.com/htthinkmapx.php3
jcostigan is offline   Reply With Quote

mlle.b

Old 08-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I get it! That's a really neat idea. Thanks!
mlle.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tinatchr

Summer Shorts
Old 08-04-2006, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have a pattern of shorts the kids trace around on a piece of lined paper. After they cut it out, they write a "short" summary of something special they did during the summer. Some girls have made their shorts into skirts or split skirts, and the boys generally draw some wild looking designs on their shorts. Since the stories are short, it's not too stressful for my slower kids.
After they're finished with these, I hang them up on a "clothes line" in the hallway using clothes pins.
It looks cute and most everyone completes this pretty quickly.
Tinatchr is offline   Reply With Quote

silpada girl

ideas for first week
Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I absolutely love these ideas. I am definitely going to do the double bubbles idea, some graphing, summer's in the bag sounds great, too. I really like the letter idea, too. A team building activity sounds great, too. My only concern with the spaghetti is actually what is it they can build with straight spaghetti and tape? What about the mess it makes too.. And how do you display these structures? Another one that comes to mind as I am writing this is instead of using spaghetti, how about toothpicks and miniature marshmallows, or has this been used too often?

silpada girl

template for interview
Old 08-05-2006, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am sorry I do not have a template on line. Basically it is about 5 or 6 questions asking about family, interests and maybe one thing they are looking forward to this year.
Hope this helps
momof2

momof2

structure activity
Old 08-06-2006, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I did this activity last year with my fifth graders and they talked about it all year long! It's actually a structure lesson from Magic School Bus series. It says primary grades but the fifth graders were able to put much more into it than a primary student would. Their designs were most likely more elaborate. Here's a link from the Scholastic site I just found.
http://content.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=1670

First I had done an activity for the different types of intelligences. I made my groups based on those findings so that the same type of learner were in the same groups. (if I could) They did not know I grouped them as such.
Materials needed were toothpicks - (same # to each group), gumdrops (same # to each group), a small paper cup with a paper clip bent to make a hook, and pennies. I had these counted out, 50 to each team to start. You could also use kidney beans and just change the form. I might do that this year.
Anyway, basis behind this is to build a structure that will hold the weight of a number of pennies/beans. They count as they drop each object into the cup and record. When their structure sags or breaks they are finished. They discuss what went wrong and how to improve and they do get to redo their structure.
It was amazing to walk around and see each structure. Some boy scouts knew what to do because of training they had. Triangular structures hold the most weight but most kids don't know that. They start out building squares and some fall apart immediately.
I kept clean gumdrops for afterwards for eating!! Don't forget your digital camera, makes great photos for open house.

I believe I did this on Day 2 or 3, not on the first day. First day I did some of the other activities listed here, but I do like the double bubble activity. I do 3 truths and a lie, where kids have to write 4 things about them, one that they've made up. Then sometime during the day I read them and they try to figure out who the person is and what is the LIE. Great fun. Good luck and have a great rest of summer.

momof2

Ice-Breakers:
Old 08-06-2006, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi, If this message appears twice, I apologize. I always browse these message boards but had never actually registered. Okay, now I'm legal. I just wrote a LONG response and will probably not do as well this time but wanted you to check out this Scholastic Magic Bus activity on structures.

http://content.scholastic.com/browse...le.jsp?id=1670

Last year I used it with my fifth graders and they talked about it all year. I had done the "different types of intelligences" activity from Laura Candlers site and then with the results grouped accordingly. (kids were not aware) You could also do it the opposite and put a student of each intelligence on each team. Interesting! Supplies needed are toothpicks (same # to each group), gumdrops (same # to each group), set of directions, pennies or beans (same # to each group), and a small paper cup with a hold (punched) with a paper clip bent to make a hook looped through it.
Kids stack up books to make two "even" piles. Textbooks worked great, all the same. Object is to build a structure that spans the books that will withstand the weight of pennies/beans added to the cup. Kids count while adding and record, add until the structure falls. They get to discuss and regroup and rebuild and do it one more time. Don't forget the digital camera, great photos for Open House.
This activity is for primary aged students but the fifth graders bring more to it and it is a great "cooperative group" activity. Some boy scouts knew just what to do. Quite interesting to watch. You really learn a LOT. Have fun with it if you use it.
momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stets

Old 08-22-2006, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I really like your Scholastic Magic Bus Activity. I think I will try this in my classroom this year. Thank you for sharing.

Could you possible share the activity you do in your classroom to see how many different Intelligences you have? Knowing how all our students learn best is critical with all the diversity amongst our students today. Thanks for sharing and your help.
Stets is offline   Reply With Quote
Alina

Alina

Thank u!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I loved these ideas and plan on using most of them. You've been a great help! Thanks for your creativity!
ms. jack

ms. jack

Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

This is my first year teaching fifth grade and I was going to let them complete a biopoem.