What should I do for my child this summer? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

What should I do for my child this summer?

>

fraffert

What should I do for my child this summer?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My son got into the challenge program for next year. I am so excited. Should I be preparing him in some way over the summer? I make him read everyday. I want him to stay ahead. He will be in third grade. We are working on his multiplication facts now. He knows 0's-5's, 10's&11's. What else? Please help.

fraffert is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations to your son and to you. It is exciting to have doors open for him! I'm not sure what your challenge program looks like because they come in all different colors and sizes. As a gifted pull-out teacher, my personal opinion is to let him play and be a kid. If he really likes dinosaurs, bring him to an exhibit or ask him if he might write a book or make a documentary about them for you. But mostly, let him enjoy himself and gain confidence in his abilities. If he was chosen to participate in a challenge program for next year, he probably already has the skills he needs!!

The only people who will really be able to answer this question are his future teachers! They know his current levels and what will make him successful next year. If you are concerned with preparing him for success, you will want to ask them. They would probably be happy to help.

Best of luck, and have a great summer
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote