Help

Fifth Grade

Multiplication Facts

>

Queen of Pink

Multiplication Facts
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know that students should know their multiplication facts by the time they come to fifth grade, but as many of know, they do not. What are some ways that yall teach multiplication facts in order for students to somewhat master most if not all of them. My district would prefer us not do timed test, but I feel that is the best way for the students to learn them is write them over and over again.

Queen of Pink is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a blank 100 square and have them practice filling it in. Then, and this is optional, I create a Round Robin Tournament to see who can complete it the fastest (100% correct of course). The Round Robin Tournament is a two match loss and then you're out.

For the tournament, I laminate two blank 100 square papers, and make tiles so there is no writing invovled. If one player has completed the chart and has an error, I tell them and they have to find it and correct it before the other player finishes to be declared the winner.
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4ever

A Multiplication Sundae Party
Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This really gets our third graders motivated to learn their facts. Obviously, we can't make them remember the facts long-term, but this is a start.

We start with 7's becasue we use Saxon Math and that is what the program begins with. There are 12, 7 facts on the sheet-from 7x0 to 7x11, in mixed order. You can set the amount of time you want to give the students. Our time varies according to the class - high vs. low. It is a bit of a pain to keep up with who has passed what level, but it is doable. I make a lot of copies of each level and put them in folders so I can just pull out the number they are working on. If they talk while I am passing out, I put the tests away and we don't test that day. It works like a charm because they want to have their Sundae Party.

A date is set for the party and whatever level the student has passed gets those goodies. I have had students not pass every level, but they admitted they didn't study at home, so it is a good life lesson.

Let me know if you have any questions. It is a fun and motivating way to learn multiplication facts.

You could do a fact family multiplication/division Sundae Party, then they would be learning both. Ohhh! I may do that this year!
Attached Files
File Type: pub Multiplication Sundae Visual.pub (57.0 KB, 249 views)
teach4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

atbetty

Math facts
Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow, I wrote a long reply and then it disappeared. So, ignore this if it got posted.

Children who do not know their math facts are using working memory that they will need to solve more complex math. Memorizing math facts makes solving math problems easier, so those that don't or can't, memorize facts, are going to have to work way too hard on their math and may feel frustrated and eventually give up. There are those students though that have RAN-Rapid Automatic Naming issues. These students have delays or can't quickly retrieve information that for most became automatic--just give them addition or multiplication charts. These same children often have trouble with reading/writing.

Anyway, I give timed tests from September to our first report cards at the end of November.

I have made up plastic baskets of hanging files for addition and subtraction and another square file for multiplication and division. In those files are copies of all the facts filed by fact family-a file for 2, 3, 4 etc, through 10, for each opertaion. There are also mastery quizes and tests. Each file has 20-30 copies, plus several answer keys in plastic protector sheets.

Three times a week we take two quizes, different operations. There are 100 problems per page and I only give 2 minutes, they put a circle around the problem where they ended up after two minutes. Students then group by ability and check together. I made recording sheets in Excel for the students to graph progress, there is one sheet per operation. Every two weeks, I collect the completed fact quizes; students are to complete sheets for homework. (Just let my know if you want my record keeping sheet, I can send it-there must be a way to attach things.)

Also, at math.com there are some drills to improve math facts. We are very competitive in my room but I only take volunteers. They race to see who can complete the most facts in 60 seconds. I also have ActiveStudio which has dice and we roll these and play different fact games (ieMulitiply the two, or add the two and multiply by the third etc. We also play around the world with the dice, but you could also use flash cards. I hope this helps. : )
atbetty is offline   Reply With Quote

MCCOA011

Musical Math
Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I actually taught my third graders how to sequence count the multiplcation tables, then we came up with dances to remember the rhythm and sequence. My school too teaches Saxon Math; therefore, we also start with the 7's...

My students learned to count the "7, 14, 21, 28....35, 42, 49, 56....63. 70, 77,84....OFF" rhythm, then we added it to the "Robot" dance. This really worked out well because we hit the musical intelligence learners, as well as the kinesthetic, and many other learning styles along the way. Obviously, this is not the ONLY thing I did. The kids still needed to have the "drill practice," but this was a great way for them to get the numbers mastered in the first place.

To spice things up, I had groups of kids work together to create the rhythm to which we would count and then they would teach the class how to do the dance. Loads of fun and the kids learned a great deal! Hope this helps!

MCCOA011 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

MCCOA011 - what a fantastic idea! I am going to steal that idea from you and use it as a small group project.

VAteacher13

Time Tests to Music
Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Last year in fourth grade my students participated in what we referred to as "Musical Math" which is basically a series of multiplication combination tests that grew in factor size. Once they had passed level 5 they moved on to division facts, and then to a combination of both. We called this "Musical Math" because instead of telling the students that they had a certain amount of time to complete the worksheet they were given the length of a song. When ever the song ended was when they had to put their pencils down. This worked really well with my students, especially the ones with math anxiety because they were not overwhelmed with the feeling of racing the clock. Since I will have the same class this year for fifth grade, I was planning on adding some new levels containing adding and subtracting fractions to Musical Math. We would do Musical Math on Monday and Friday and graph their results so that they, and their parents, could see the progress they were making. Students who passed a level were invited into the classroom on Friday for lunch with the teacher.

Another thing that really helped my students was creating a multiplication chart. This helped them review their multiplication facts and was also a good test taking tool for helping them find equivalent fractions when we began studying fractions.

Hope this helps!
VAteacher13 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

VAteacher,

Do you use the same song each time? Have you timed the song/s for length? I really like this idea and would love to hear a little more about it.

Last edited by luvsteaching; 07-13-2009 at 11:06 AM..

VAteacher13

Songs for Musical Time Tests
Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

luvsteaching-

I try to use mostly classical music. I usually play classical music in the morning when they come in to calm them down so they were used to the relaxed music. I downloaded different songs and burned them onto a c.d. A lot of the classical songs need to be shortened (most of them are ten minutes, or more). I had our school technology coordinator do this for me; but before that I would just keep the stereo remote in my hand and mute the music at the end of 4 minutes. We would also play songs from High School Musical sometimes, or appropriate oldies, towards the end of the year because they were shorter in length and most of the students had mastered their multiplication/division facts by then.

My students love Musical Math, after a while they start to ask for these tests everyday. I also found that my few students who would roll in late every other day "because their parents overslept" would always be on time on Mondays and Friday because we did Musical Math right after morning announcements.
VAteacher13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Xmeliss06X

Multiplication Tag
Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We played this game in my early childhood class. I don't remember exactly what we did but it is like basic freeze tag, but you can become safe if you say a multiplication fact as the person who is "it" tries to tag you. You can make certain rules like each round you use a different set of facts and you can't repeat facts. This may be a good way for students to learn the facts because they have to think quickly.

Xmeliss06X is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

VAteacher,

Thank you. I look forward to introducing this into my classroom

majal

Facts
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm using the Sundae idea this yr and I wish I would have used it before!!! My kids are so excited about that they even ASK to have the quizzes!!! The parents' response had been great bec. they see the kids so motivated, they are even volunteering to help out with the ice cream and cleaning up.
majal is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I loop up to 5th grade with my 4th graders, so I know going in which students are going to struggle with multiplication.

In 4th grade we do the multiple songs, do visual representations with arrays of square inch tiles, draw and label arrays on grid paper, cut out arrays, group sets of counters, act out multiplication using sets of people, and any other conceptual ways I can think of to help students "see" what multiplication means. However, many students still don't know their facts. Those who know them can't recall them automatically.

This year, my 5th graders are doing Rocket Math every morning before we start our math lesson. Students work their way through levels of one-minute tests (40 facts/min.) and chart their progress on a Rocket graph. The whole daily process only takes less than 10 minutes. Once a week we do an 80-fact 2 minute timed test. We are working toward automaticity. At first I thought 80 facts in 2 minutes was pretty much unreasonable, but I have several students who can do 80 with time to spare. The ones who've worked their way through multiplication levels A-W have gone on to division. We also have a 10-minute daily assignment to practice their facts at home.

I agree that some students have limited ability to achieve automaticity, but those students are making steady progress. When our goal is to solve problems rather than practice multiplication/division, I let those students use a multiplication table. I ask them to try very hard to use it only if they have to.

Actually, now that I think about it, I often let everyone use a calculator if the goal is to solve problems, find averages, look for complicated numeric patterns, etc.
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I started my kids playing bizz buzz this week and they are loving it! Some have gone and home taught the game to their parents and are playing nightly. I have one student pick a number from 3 to 9 and that becomes our bizz buzz number. For all the multiples of 3 we say buzz instead of the number; for all the numbers that contain 3 as a digit we say bizz and all the numbers that are multiples and have a 3 in them we say bizz buzz. For example, everyone stands up and if 3 is selected we go around the room counting - 1, 2, bizz buzz, 4, 5, buzz, 7, 8, buzz, 10, 11, buzz, bizz, 14, buzz, 16, 17, buzz, 19, 20, buzz, 22, bizz, buzz, 25, 26, buzz, 28, 29, bizz buzz, bizz, bizz, etc. etc. If they make a mistake then sit down and we begin all over. The goal is to make it to 100, and of course be the last one standing. This has really helped the ones struggling with multiplication. Multiplication is the talk of my classroom right now.