Help

Fifth Grade

Building my classroom library

>

shmrcksuzie

Building my classroom library
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi 5th grade teachers! I'm brand new to this board (and to PT) & its my 1st year teaching! Today I bought a ton of bins I was thinking of using for my classroom library. Problem is... I have no books to fill them with! After talking to my dad about this today, he went to his local library & picked up 13 books for $1.75 for me! (I have no idea what kinds of books they are though... haven't gotten to see them yet) I realize I can't build my whole library on bargain books like these, but do you have any suggestions as to where else I could look for books at these kinds of prices and also where are the places/sites to buy the other books at the best prices? Thanks so much for any ideas, & I spent a lot of time reading this board- this site is GREAT!

shmrcksuzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Nyanza

Welcome to PT!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Shamrocksuzie

Great place to start is yard sales. Utilize family and friends-are there any books their children have outgrown?
Once you get settled, join Scholastic Book Club. This is how I've broaden my library. Again, welcome to PT and welcome to the Profession
Ny
Nyanza is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with pp about yard sales and scholastic. Ive also had great luck with asking students for them. I pay them with classroom money and everybody wins. Another great place has been goodwill.
AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ali'a

Goodwill
Old 07-15-2009, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just picked up a ton of great books, mostly from scholastic, from Goodwill. They were gently used and only .69 a piece.
Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

ladydukes

Scholastic warehouse sales
Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Look for scholastic warehouse sales! Last year I spent $90 and got what would normally cost $350! It was great! Ditto on the yard sales-- my mil is a fanatical bargainer! She has bags for me at the end of every summer to add to my collection! Clearanced books at book stores can be good too. I think B & N has a teacher card you can get.... I 'm pretty sure Hastings does too. I <3 the used books at Hastings! Lakeshore has books on tape that can get pretty cheap (I use for centers).

Good Luck!

ladydukes is offline   Reply With Quote

pooh_girl

library
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

at our library used book stores, I always find good quality books. They also have a room in which teacher can make an appointment to come and take as many books as they wish. You have to do a little research in your local community to find these deals.

you can place a list on Donorchoose.org for books. Scholastic has been a great resource for me. Yes I have spent hundreds of dollars on books but I have a completely well stocked library.

I asked kids to donate their old books last year (only if they knew they wouldn't read them anymore.) I would put their name that they generously donated a book. Kids like to know that a little piece of them will stay for future years - little do they know they stay in my heart!
pooh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

ehshea

Looking for books
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had the same problem and everything that has been posted is great. I have also had some luck looking on ebay and on craigslist. I found a teacher in a town nearby that was selling her entire classroom library.
ehshea is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Panther

Used Book Store
Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have a used book store in my area that has tons of cheap books. I start in their children's clearance section. Usually books are $1 or $.75. I also found that some teachers are willing to share some books, too, with new teachers. Good Luck!
Mrs. Panther is offline   Reply With Quote

txfrog

Can't....
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

add any more suggestions on where to get books, all great places. Just wanted to give you a suggestion on how to organize books. I organized my library according to genre:

Adventure
Fantasy
Auto/Biography
Mystery
Realistic Fiction
Adventure
by author and or series:
Magic Tree House
Baby Sitters Club
American Girl
Goosebumps
also: Nonfiction according to science topics
Earth science
Life science
Physical science

just an idea for you, also, welcome to PT and 5th. grade

Last edited by txfrog; 07-15-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: forgot something
txfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Old 07-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I fill my library with yard sales, contacted people via facebook and said if you have old books I'd love to have them, and I LOVE Scholastic. There is also a web-site called bookmooch.com where you can trade books with other people (just pay shipping) so you can trade in your own old books (all types, genres, age levels) and get points to get children's books. There is also a used bookstore near me where all children's books are $1.

Just start with what you have, and however you organize keep the system up, I let the books get ahead of me and it took hours to get reorganized so we could find them easily.

kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

linzeek44

Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

you can also try the website for Freecycle. (.org, I think)

You "sign up" and you'll get to receive/post emails about things people are giving away for free. You can also post "I am looking for..."

In my area, I saw a lot of books and crafty type things, as well as some fun things for when I taught preschool (a new dollhouse, etc).

< 3LK
linzeek44 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

All of the above! Also, prepare a Wish List for your parents. I know mine are always willing to contribute books, and some will give you gift cards to the book store.
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

shmrcksuzie

Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks so much all of you! For the ideas & for welcoming me I have so many places to search now!

I really like how you organize your library txfrog, thanks for sharing that!

powellstarkey

Books
Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was going to suggest to you don't forget to include some magazines and newspapers they can help your classroom library a lot. I also put picture books in my classroom library as well.
powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

http://www.booksalefinder.com/IL.html
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

shmrcksuzie

Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I was soooo excited I bought 40 books off eBay today for cheap

Mrs. Croak! The link is awesome! I just got done marking my calendar with the book sales in my area in Jul. & Aug. There's pretty much a sale every weekend- Thank you!

MrsCroak

Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

go the day before the sale ends and ask if they will be having a bag sale. many of them will have a bag sale on the last day, so you fill a bag for a fixed price. i'll go the day before the last day and pay full price for books that i REALLY want (newbery's, non-fiction, etc)...then, i'll return the following day for the bag sale, where i'm less picky, but usually find some great stuff!
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher72

Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I had some luck asking students to donate books they have already read. You could give them some type of reward for bringing in books for the library; I give class money. I then have a label printed which says "This book was donated by ___________" The student likes to see their name printed in our classroom books.

Also, make sure to ask your librarian if they can loan you books for your room. Our library is overflowing and we can get 200-300 books for our room just by asking. At Christmas, the librarian swaps out the books for fresh ones and I don't pay a dime for those. In fact, I was in my room today and I have three shelves of new books waiting for my students in addition to what I have purchased myself. Additionally, you might want to see if the teacher whe left your room may have left you any books before you go and purchase with your own money. Good luck.
AZTeacher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Natali

Natali

Classroom library
Old 08-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

EBAY!! That is how I got my library started. You type in "lots of books for fifth grade" and you'll see how much comes up! The books come in 20s and 30s for really cheap