Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

I need an idea

>

Sunny Side

I need an idea
Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every year in my room I have a type of "marble jar" for class/group behavior incentive. I know the boards here are mixed on that type of thing, but I've found it works well for my class to work together to fill the jar. Everyone working together towards a goal is good, right?
The year I had a dog theme, we filled a jar with dog bone treats. The year I did a Winnie the Pooh theme we filled it with yellow pom-pom "honey drops". Last year my theme was monkeys, and we filled the palm-tree jar with "coconuts" (brown pom-poms.) This year my theme will be camping, and I just cannot think of what to fill our jar with! Does anyone have any ideas? I'm doing "Caught making good choices" for the individual incentive board, and each child will have a "net" with a green, yellow, and red fish in it. I'm just stuck now.

Sunny Side is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

jar
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about goldfish crackers?
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

or teddy bear counters?
Ruby07 is online now   Reply With Quote

tk5135

What about marshmallows
Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could use the real thing or white pom poms. It would be cool if you could attach them to a stick like they were being roasting.
tk5135 is offline   Reply With Quote

mlr42002

Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the first thing I thought of was marshmallows too

mlr42002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 07-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Also was ready to type marshmallows
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunny Side

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like the marshmallow idea. I'm headed to the craft store to see if maybe they have some thick fun-foam I could cut into "marshmallows". If not, the white pom-poms would work fine. I will probably keep a jar of real mini-marshmallows on my desk too. You know, for when I want to surprise them with a treat, not at all for when I'm needing a sugar boost
I'm thinking I might even make my "jar" look like Hershey bars and graham crackers. Thanks for getting me rolling guys!!

GOIU

Dog Theme
Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sunny Side,
I would LOVE to hear about your dog theme ideas. I recently received a "Clifford" big red dog house for my room. It is large enough for my kiddies to sit inside and read. But I want to create a theme. What did your bulletin board(s) look like? Disciple/Behavior Management? I thought about filling a jar with Scooby Snacks. Thanks so much!
GOIU is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunny Side

Dog Theme
Old 07-18-2009, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My hallway BB said "Look Who's Been Spotted in Pre-K" and had dalmations playing all over the board with the children's names on the dogs, dog dishes, balls, etc.
In my classroom, I had a BB that had a dog cut-out for each child with their name on it and a dog dish that had a green, yellow, and red dog bone in each. This was their individual behavior incentive. Not to have to take any of their dog's bones away for making wrong choices (ie...hitting, kicking, unkind words, etc.) For the class/group incentive, I bought the smallest dog bone treats I could find and they would each get to put a treat in for lining up quietly, cleaning up quickly, etc.
For my job BB I made dog houses and wrote the job on them. Each child had a mini-dog cut-out and I would rotate their dogs to a new job each week. In my class I choose to have as many jobs as students.
In my library center I had lots of Clifford books, toys, and stuffed animals (thanks to my own daughters having loved Clifford and now being too old to play with them), and other 'famous' dogs (Kipper, Pluto, Spot, etc.)
If I did this theme again, I would tape paw prints to the floor (at least at the beginning of the year) to help teach them where to line up.
Hope that helps some I'm sorry I don't have pictures, but it's been a few years since I did that theme.

ncoceanteach

I need an idea
Old 07-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi Sunny Side
I will be teaching a public pre-k next year. I would love to hear about your ideas from your Winnie the Pooh theme. I love Pooh Bear! Thanks

ncoceanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

teaspoons of popcorn -when you reach a level you have marked have a popcorn party
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote