Help

Fifth Grade

Twilight Series

>

Queen of Pink

Twilight Series
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was thinking about purchasing the Twilight series to add to my classroom library, but do yall think they are a little grown up for fifth graders? A ton of my girls read them last year, but the books were their personal books.

Queen of Pink is offline   Reply With Quote

mkh

Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While I read them and so did a lot of my kids, I wouldn't put them in my classroom library, especially the last one.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote

sambrolaw

Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with MKH. I had a lot of students reading them last year. The kids knew I had read the series, and when asked I told them I didn't think they were appropriate for 5th graders. If the parents allow their child to read it, there isn't really anything we can do about it. I wouldn't put it in your classroom library though because parents may become upset. As mkh said, especially with Breaking Dawn.
sambrolaw is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

I vote NO!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the series, but I do not share them with my 10 and 11 year olds.
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

Imo
Old 07-15-2009, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't. I saw that some of the kids had the books and honestly it made be a bit nervous. I really don't think they are appropriate for 10/11 year olds.

You don't want to open a can of worms, so to speak, with any conservative parents. I had a parent try to accuse me of allowing/providing a book that was too risque for their son a few years ago.... the boy checked out the book on his own during his library time. I was in no way responsible for censoring materials kept in the school library nor have I read every book in the library. I had no way of know that particular book contained something those ultra-conservative parents would find offensive. Luckily, this parent's anger toward me fizzled quickly, BUT if the book is in your classroom library, that might be a more dramatic ordeal for you.

crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiesmom

Twilight
Old 07-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wouldn't put it in my 5th grade classroom. It may be written on their level, but it is developmentally inappropriate. There is no blatant sex, at least in the first 3, but it is very suggestive. If kids want to read them, let their parents supply them.
maggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I vote no too.

Not appropriate for 5th graders.

I had the same issue with Artemis Fowl.

I had a student pick it up from my library a few years ago. It was way above his level, and I asked him if he;d like to pick a book more on his level, but he really wanted it. I didn't think too much about it, because I knew he couldn't read it anyway.

WELL, the next week, the parent complains to the principal that I MADE the class read the book. He had underlines all through it where there were inappropriate parts.

Luckily the principal was on my side.

The minute the parent started complaining, the principal said "let me get this straight...you took Mrs. Wiggins book and WROTE in it?" He didn't even give the parent a chance to complain, the principal turned the ordeal right around, and made the parent the bad guy for defacing my book!!!

It still makes me chuckle when I think about it. The parent was so embarassed by the end of the meeting, he went out and bought me a new artemis fowl book!! lol

To be honest, I never even read the book. My middle school son read it in his school, so I just added his copy to my library!!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

finny

no clue
Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have Artemis Fowl in my library too. I read it and don't remember any inappropriate parts.. now you have me worried that I need to read it again.
finny is offline   Reply With Quote

relaxing

Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do not think the Twilight series are appropriate for 5th grade. Even though there may not be blatant sex in them, even the first one talks about feelings. Fifth graders are too young for this. It gives them ideas and probably the last people they'll talk to about it is their parents. As a principal at a private school, I told the 7th/8th grade teacher not to let her girls bring in their own copies. The characters are high school students which leads me to believe they were meant for high school. I may be way off, but I am old fashioned.
relaxing is offline   Reply With Quote

saphire

Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have read the Artemis Fowl series and completely feel that it is appropriate for 4th grade and up.
But I would not put the Twilight Series in my library.

Saphire

saphire is offline   Reply With Quote

finny

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks Saphire! I feel much better now. I know I read them starting a few years ago, but I thought they were fine.
finny is offline   Reply With Quote

Ozzette

No Way!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My dd was in 8th last year, and read them all in a span of two weeks then said to me, "I really don't think that was appropriate for me! I skipped the sex stuff, it was too much information!" I read them after her, and felt like, "yeah, you were right... too much!" I love my girl! I really don't think they're appropriate for a classroom library, but your students will be reading them...be forewarned.
Ozzette is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I know several of my students read them last year, but at home not at school. There are some very conservative parents that would create problems if I put a book like that in my classroom, so I have a policy reagarding all books read in the classroom. If the book does not come from my classroom library, they must get my approval to read it at school.

I haven't read all of the books in my classroom library and have been shocked when I have selected one to use as my read aloud. As I read some of the sentences I found myself skipping or changing words, then once the I finished with the book I left it out of my classroom library.

I do have Artemis Fowl in my classroom and am comfortable with it being there.
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

musicbug

Just because a parent will let their kid read
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

it doesn't mean we have to supply it. My kids asked me to buy the books for the classroom library and I told them absolutely not. I told them to ask their parents if they wanted to read that series because I would not supply it.
musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

pooh_girl

Twilight
Old 07-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Definitely no on last book.

For the other three, I have one copy available. Students need to bring in a signed note from Mom or Dad saying that they can read this book. The first one I think is fine (though has HS love) but each one gets more intense. Last one I explained to one of my kids last year is that they get married and have a baby, enough said.
pooh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Room 116

I don't think...
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would put them in my classroom library. I teach a 4/5 combination. I haven't read them, but I have heard from one of our 3rd grade teachers that they are not elementary age appropriate. She had a group of 3rd grade girls who were reading them, and she had to tell the parents she wasn't comfortable with them reading them at school.
Room 116 is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 07-16-2009, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Artemis Fowl was in my 3rd grade class (for my more advanced readers)

The dad's gripe was that they made the villain out to be a hero or something?

We live in the Bible belt, so he basically turned every sentence that he could around to make a reference to the devil!!

CRAZY!!

Luckily the principal had a son who LOVED the series when he was younger, so he knew all about the book. ha ah!!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lopi7

No for Twilight
Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Voting no too (though I enjoyed reading them!).
Lopi7 is offline   Reply With Quote

saphire

No Clue
Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I was wondering what the parent thought was inappropriate about Artemis Fowl and now that you explained it makes sense... some parents can be so difficult and make something out of nothing!!!
My son (11 now) loves this series and is hoping that another one comes out.
saphire is offline   Reply With Quote

jesimaka

Nope
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My vote is no. Vampires might not be a topic that parents want their kids to explore. I enjoy Harry Potter, but I don't put that in my class library...I have seen some teachers do so, and then seen parents upset because they felt that the teacher was promoting wizardry and witchcraft. UGH! Back when I was a kid...these kinds of things were not issues.
jesimaka is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yes...I had a parent come to me and complain that their child's teacher had Harry Potter on the shelf. To be honest, I never even thought about it not being okay for the classroom. It was this parent that made me look at books differently. She told me those books were going against the Bible.
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Great discussion!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm glad Queen of Pink brought up this topic, and I say no along with the rest of the posters. I loop with my 4th graders up to 5th, and I had a 4th grader last year who almost cried when I told her she could not read Twilight at school. In fact she brought it back in another day -- I guess thinking I wouldn't notice!!!!!!!!!! (Silly Girl!!!!) When I told her she had to take it home and leave it home, she was compliant but still pretty upset. Since those books came up last year in 4th, I know it will come up again in 5th. All your comments have reminded me that I need to be ready.
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

julesb

Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I say no. I have the series but I would not put them in my classroom library. I did have students reading them last year but I didn't recommend them. At parent-teacher conference, I mentioned to a parent (whose daughter had been reading them) if she had read them. She said no and I told her I would read the last book before her daughter started reading it in case she didn't want her daughter reading it. Even though I don't have children yet, I know as a parent I would want to know.
julesb is offline   Reply With Quote

dreamer03

Twilight Fan
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I agree with the posts, do not include these books in your class library.
dreamer03 is offline   Reply With Quote

JOJO'S MOM

No!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I love the saga, but do not put it in your library. Yes, kids love it too, but their parents can get the books for them.
JOJO'S MOM is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicGirl210

I wouldn't include it
Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I know on my campus last year a lot of the kids were reading the books... I even think some of them were lending them to each other once they finished them! How do you explain that to a parent? hehe

I personally loved the saga, but I completely DO NOT believe them to be appropriate for children so young. I don't even know that as a parent I'd want my HS kid to be reading Breaking Dawn because of all the sex included in it and sexual innuendos. I concur with the going theme to not include them in your library, but to be alerted that kids will OF COURSE be reading them.
MusicGirl210 is offline   Reply With Quote