Help

Fifth Grade

5th grade-Discipline and homework policy

>

teacheramy24

5th grade-Discipline and homework policy
Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just wanted to start out by saying Thank you Thank you Thank you to everyone who shares advice, ideas, materials and everything else so graciously. I am a first year teacher....: ) Very excited but very overwhelmed at the moment. Does anyone have and ideas or materials they would like to share regarding discipline policy's , homework policy classroom management stuff~ I will be teaching 5th grade and did student teaching in K and 3rd so am asking for some help! ANYTHING would be great! I love reading over peoples ideas.

teacheramy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsDriver

MrsDriver

First off...
Old 07-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

welcome to PT. Becareful, this place can be addictive and you will get so many great ideas it could also be costly.

I have a website that has my homework, classroom rules/discipline and other information on. Feel free to browse and "borrow" what you need. http://teacherweb.com/FL/NorwoodElem...iver/apt10.stm

Also, a book I found this summer that was really good is called, Teaching with Love and Logic. Get that and read it. If you would like I can send you my procedures/routines that I use for you to look at. Just let me know. You can email me through my website or at spinycollard@yahoo.com. If you email me please put PT in the subject line so I don't just delete it.

Don't worry, everything will be fine. Try not to feel overwhelmed. Come to PT for help. We're here for you.

Queen of Pink

Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year was my first year teaching and it was challenging to say the least! However, I am hoping this year will be better. For my discipline policy I plan to do the following:
Warning: Name on board
Take a break--remove student from situation and allow them to get control of themselved
Think Time--remove student from classroom and they will complete a behavior reflection where they will tell what the inappropriate behavior was and then how they could have handled it differently. This reflection will be sent home for parents to sign and then I will file it in their behavior record
Phone Call home/Conference
Severe Disruption: offic

I am also planning on doing punch cards for behavior and homework. They will get one punch per day if they complete ALL their homework and then punches randomly throughout the day for good behavior.

As far as homework goes, they will have to turn it in on the day it is due. If they at least try to do it, they will receive a 100. If they don't do it or did not try, they will get a 0 and will have to write a note about why they did not complete their homework and have it signed. I figure if they have to write a note to their parents enough, they will start doing their homework.

I hope this helps. Fifth grade is a wonderful grade to teach! I hope you will love it as much as I do Just remember to be firm the first few weeks of school because they will push every button you have just to see what makes you tick.
Queen of Pink is offline   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You are welcome to take a peek at my "Parent Handbook" that I give to my families at Back-to-School Night. I've found it's very helpful to put all of my policies in writing and to give the parents a copy as a proactive measure to open communication and high expectations.

It's on my "Documents to Download" section of my website:

http://teacherweb.com/CA/LaVorgnaES/Osinski/photo2.aspx

Scroll all the way to the bottom. I just updated it and uploaded it today.

Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiesmom

Check out
Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Chris Biffle and his responsive classroom. Just google it and there is tons of info...free downloads and videos for discipline. I teach 5th grade and homework tends to be an issue at the beginning of the year but settles down for most students. I give a second day but students it is only worth 75%.

maggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

maryw

CheleOh
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I always assumed you were just a big hockey fan based on your name CheleOh (spelled differently but phonetically close to one of the NHL hockey players) I laughed when I went to your site and figured out it was a play on your name not the hockey players.

You have a nice website. Thanks for sharing.
maryw is offline   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

:-D

I've had several people think the same thing. Chris (?) Chelio or something like that?

Nope... don't know nuffin' about hockey, really. It's just short for Mi<Chele> O. I added the "H" so that people wouldn't think it was a zero. I have more self-esteem than that. ;-)

Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

ladijen148

Group points
Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

For homework and behavior I have my students in tables. Each table earns points for different things such as homework is 5 pts, listening and following directions is 3pts, table not talking is 1pts. I made wheels with points up to 45 on it and labeled them by my table numbers. At the end of 2 weeks whoever has the most points gets to pick any job they want for the week and picks a pencil from my prize jar. It helps the students to learn to work together and to be responsible.
ladijen148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mari

Classroom Rules
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Attached are copies of my classroom & homework rules. I hope they help.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Classroom Rules.doc (27.5 KB, 345 views)
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote

Mari

Homework Rules
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Attached is a copy of my homework rules.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Homework Rules.doc (57.0 KB, 312 views)
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsbooks

Homework policy
Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks to all of you for posting and sharing your information.
luvsbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
DebTuck

DebTuck

Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was browsing the ProTeacher website for ideas in the fifth grade and ran across an old reply you made about the Parent Handbook that you had. I would love to look at this, but the link would not take me there! Would you mind sending it to me directly? That would be so helpful!
dtuck3#windstream.net

Thanks! Have a great summer!
Debbie