Help

Fifth Grade

Drop In A Bucket Math

>

oceandiva

Drop In A Bucket Math
Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any feedback on this math program? I was thinking about using this as a supplement to the McGraw-Hill Math we use in my school.

oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote

AmyJ

Drops as a warm up
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I typically used it as a warm up activity. We would maybe do 5 of the 10 boxes on the page depending on time. This was something that they could be working on as I was transitioning into math-getting materials, etc.

In the past I've graded it as a class, but per the suggestion of another PT poster I think I'll incorporate more group/partner share this year to possibly give them more incentive to actually get it done. I don't collect it or take a grade but so much of it is great review for state assessments.

I would also love to hear how others use this program.
AmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

More Math Please:)
Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Drops in the Bucket and Math 4 Today (Frank Shafer) with my 5th graders. We do level for math across the grade level. I have the low average to average group. These books work great for reviewing skills every day. Both programs have a variety of skills (place value, basic facts, measurements, story problems, fractions...).

Sometimes I cut the pages into strips for a quick review. I also use the sheets for homework. The sheets can be done independently or as a small group.

Next year, I want to play "Scoot" with the pages. I will cut the page apart and put a different problem on each desk. The students will move around the room to complete all the problems (time limit of course-use a bell to signal when you scoot to the next problem). I will give them the complete page as a record sheet. Then, we will check the problems together at the end. Again, I may cut the page in half so the game will be shorter.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

grasshopper

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

123 Rabbit I love your "Scoot" idea.
I also use both Drops and Math4Today. Last year I just used Drops and the years before I was using Math4Today. I have decided this year I want to use both because there are skills that Math4Today covers that Drops does not and vice versa. Math4Today has an end of the week assessment and Drops does not.

I use Drops for homework ...assigning a few boxes each night and then reviewing them the next day. Assigning the whole page and then reviewing was taking up too much time. I am going to try the "Scoot" idea with Math4Today. Yeah!

Last edited by grasshopper; 08-01-2009 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: typos
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

aam_84

Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have used Math Drops in the Bucket for 5th and 2nd grades and I really enjoyed it and so did the kids. I however used it as a morning seat work activity or had them complete it right before math time. I found the 5th graders could do it independently but the 2nd graders needed help at first. Hope this works for you!

aam_84 is offline   Reply With Quote