Help

Gifted Education

6 yr. old in 3rd grade

>

KellyTeachTX

6 yr. old in 3rd grade
Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I found out that I will have a 6 yr. old coming to me this year in 3rd. She skipped Kindergarten and first grade, and went straight to second grade when she was five.

I have my own opinions about a 6 yr. old being in a room with 9 and 10 year olds (some who will turn 11 because of being retained) but my main concern is that I want to make sure she is being challenged.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can put at my Literacy Stations for her? I've taught GT before, but only Middle School, so I'm at a loss as to what to give her to do while I'm teaching small group.

The Counselor has already said, "She's my girl", which I took as "you BETTER make sure there are NO PROBLEMS."

thanks for your help.

KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

By the way, she HAS been tested for GT...just didn't make it because of one/two points on Math evaluation. She really DOES belong at our GT center.

Kelly
KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote
meeeee

meeeee

what???
Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just don't believe a 6 yr old is ready to be in third grade. even if she is academically strong, it is the developmental that I am thinking of. 6 year olds need to be with other 6 year olds. Just my opinion! Good luck. I'd love to see how this all works out.

trainteach456

Old 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree... a 6yr old. What do the parents think about it? Academically it sounds as if she is ready, but socially....I would not want that. You will have to adapt so many things for her. The area you work in does not do anything else for a gifted student like that?
trainteach456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. YC2

Don't panic yet, this happens a lot!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Don't panic quite yet, you might not have to modify much at all. You may be surprised with just how well she fits. I know dozens of children who are in situations like this, due to profound giftedness, and it typically works out quite well. If she's indeed gifted enough to warrant such an extreme acceleration, chances are she wouldn't fit at all with the 6 year olds either. Think of this is as a viable compromise, and do your best to make it work.

I'm surprised about the two points...and am curious about her actual scoring. I wouldn't put a typical 130-ish kid in a situation like this. My experience comes from kids that test well into the 99.9th percentile (profoundly gifted).

P.S...wouldn't most of your 3rd graders be 8 turning 9?

Last edited by Mrs. YC2; 08-05-2009 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: added P.S.
Mrs. YC2 is offline   Reply With Quote