Help

Fifth Grade

"Just right" books

>

aquatic

"Just right" books
Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to begin the year by teaching my students how to find books that are "just right" for them. Does anyone have any ideas?

aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote

cdecoux

Just Right
Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you mean not too difficult you can use the 1 hand method - put down a finger for each word you don't know. If you have more than 5 the book may be too difficult for you. Too easy -- well if they are enjoying reading I don't worry too much if it's too easy. For example, I have Goosebumps and Magic Treehouse in my chapter book section of my library. yest they are easy, but fun. They get lots of expository text that is difficult. You might have the children share for 20 seconds on a book they are reading. That might prompt them to try something else.
Good luck
cdecoux is offline   Reply With Quote

ljones11

Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have this bookmark that I got somewhere. I'm going to use it when I teach just right books!
Attached Files
File Type: doc 5 finger rule bookmark.doc (95.5 KB, 149 views)
ljones11 is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

weight lifting
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I compare it to weight lifting. When you lift too light weights you are doing nothing for yourself, no muscle is building... it may be fun and easy,but that's it... no challenge. Too heavy weights are too heavy and frustrating to lift. You can't lift too many without being tired and giving up. Just right weights make you stronger, you can go longer and you feel motivated by them!

I also have posters at school describing each type, not with the weight lifting comparison! Good luck!
curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

aquatic

Thank you
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely use the bookmark and the weightlifting comparisons. Also, I agree that easier books are good to use, as well. My students always love Goosebumps books! Thanks again!

aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote

dunstumd

Goldilocks
Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The Goldilocks Method
We recall the Goldilocks story when doing the mini lesson on choosing a JR book. Some are too easy, some are too hard, and some are just right. I keep this method on a poster in the library (if I can find this doc, i will post it).

I model what it may look like to read a variety of books and the students decide if they are too easy, too hard, or just right for me by voting. This is the funny part for the kids b/c I bring in text books from college or medical books from my boyfriend's library and pretend like I can't understand anything by struggling over words as they count on their hand (five finger rule). We discuss how this won't be the same for everyone.

Use the five finger rule to determine if it's too hard!

You can have them search through the library and find one of each book throughout the week...a sort of scavenger hunt.
dunstumd is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had a good lesson for teaching this and when I pulled it out my class groaned, they had been doing this since 2nd grade. I think a brief review is appropriate, but wouldnt spend too much time on it.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote