ESL/LEP

ESL assessment tools

>

Hermione_S

Hermione_S

ESL assessment tools
Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What assessment tools do you use with your ESL students.
In PA the Wida Access placement test (W-apt) is used to evaluate the incoming ESL student's English proficiency level. I've never seen it or used it. I just got my ESL certificate and the assessment course I took was online so I got to read about assessment tools but not see them.
What assessment tools do you use during the course of the school year? These are the ones I have heard about:
BINL
DIBELS
SELP
Do the ESL students take the 4sight tests?
Also, do you give special accommodations to the ELLs when they take the state wide tests?

Thanks for your help,
Hermione

MissESL

Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use ACCESS W-apt in August, ACCESS in January, and then another W-apt screener in May. We also keep grade record progress reports requested from the teacher to monitor their progress and levels. This is in the inclusion setting.

At the middle school, I do only the January ACCESS unless a move-in needs to be screened. I teach an actual ESL class and ESL study hall, so their grade and work in my class is carefully monitored for progress and problems and study hall gives them a chance to ask me things they didn't want to ask in class.. In the beginning of the year we set goals for grades and progress. I have them set grade goals, because they are not allowed to go on to high school without C- or better in all classes. I encourage them to shoot high, because this community expects them to be low (I don't tell that part, it irritates the heck out of me the way people are sometimes). I also check their grades in the rest of their classes. We hold a student-teacher conference once at midterms and once at the quarter to look at how they're doing. I talk to them about their grades, going over each one. If they are C- or lower, we talk about what they've been doing in that class. Did they understand it? Do they ask questions? Do they do their homework? Have they talked to the teacher?

The W-apt and ACCESS are not difficult to give. The difficult part is choosing which level to give A, B, or C.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote
Hermione_S

Hermione_S

thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your descriptions of the ACCESS test.
This is more than I got from my assessment course.
Hermione_S

Ate Ray

W-apt and ACCESS
Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have not heard of these assessments before. How are they obtained? I used to teach in Texas, so we used TELPAS and something else that I can't remember right now. I now teach in the Philippines and am looking for an assessment tool to use with 200+ students here.
Ate Ray is offline   Reply With Quote