Help

ESL/LEP

ESL vs. ELL teacher?

>

Miss R

ESL vs. ELL teacher?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the correct terminology...ESL teacher or ELL teacher?

I hear people using both terms to identify teachers who work with ELLs. I always thought it was correct to say an ESL teacher because you are teaching English as a Second Language.

Is there a difference that I am not aware of?

Miss R is offline   Reply With Quote

ColorWonder

Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The reason why ESL is becoming less common is because we have to remember that english may not be a child's SECOND language, it could be the childs third or even fourth language! This was the reasoning given to me at a recent ELL training.
ColorWonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss R

Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are so right!!! Now it's coming back to me that I also heard that in one of my previous ESL classes. That definitely makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much!

MissESL

Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Either is fine, just ELL is considered more politically correct. I do not worry too much about it; I've never had anyone demand I refer to my class as English as a Third Language! ;-) I tend to use the two words interchangeably. It's usually decided for you by the school culture. The school I work in uses ESL. Where I student taught was big on using LEP or ELL.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school district finally changed our title to ELL this year! Way behind the times.
When I lived in CA we used that term. I like it better. English Language Learners, which means as someone else said, this is another language someone may be learning and it happens to be English.

read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss R

Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I definitely agree that the term ELL makes more sense! I guess I just like the consistency of being called either ELL or ESL. That way people don't get confused. I know as an ELL teacher, I know the meaning of both terms. However, not all general education teachers do and it confuses them when someone says ESL and ELL when they're talking about the same thing.
nli

nli

definitely ELL
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

ESL is not appropriate and in my opinion not as welcoming as ELL. Usually schools who use the term ESL do not have as up to date methods as those who use ELL.

tyrex

Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow! I disagree that schools who use the term ESL don't have as up to date methods as those who use ELL. It is the district, and maybe the state, who decides what to use. That has nothing to do with my methods.

And if I have a student who only speaks one language and is learning English, why would it be inappropriate to call that student an ESL student? I get that it is not an accurate phrase to describe groups of students, but it certainly can be accurate for certain students.

I use ESL and ELL. I am sure eventually the state will move to only using ELL--probably just in time for another, more PC phrase to begin to take its place.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
HeatherD

HeatherD

ESL v ELL
Old 09-18-2009, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

ESL is suppose to mean that you learn English first than do academic learning. ELL means that you learn academics in your native language while you learn English. It is just a different philosophy.
Chad96

Chad96

ESL are NOT ELL"s!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Most of you have this wrong!

ELL are students that have NO English background which are places in our school systems and are presented to learn under a curriculum which requires Learning English an other subjects through a language that is completely new. Don't get it wrong. ELL was placed in reference to all the foreign students coming into our schools with NO English.

Limited English or US born who lack English or Speak Spanish and/or another languages, at home or first language are ESL, not ELL. People are getting comfortable using terms without understanding its real purpose.

ESL are NOT ELL"s, Do not get mixed up. If you don't know, there is always room for improvement and learning.

I am a professor and researcher, someone from Mexico or Sweden that arrives in your school with NO clue of English is an ELL. Someone like a Chicano or US born India
or Italian in our school system ALREADY.. are ESL!

Teacher82271

Meaning of ESL or ELL teacher
Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

ESL is the name of the program and ELL is (English Language Learner) is the title they give the student. Both terms are not interchangeable.
Teacher82271 is offline   Reply With Quote