HELP, just found out I start Mon. teaching Grade 5 ESL!!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ESL/LEP

HELP, just found out I start Mon. teaching Grade 5 ESL!!!

>

Jenn81

HELP, just found out I start Mon. teaching Grade 5 ESL!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so excited to be hired for my first job. But I just found out today, and I start MONDAY. I am not ESL endorsed, I know little to nothing about teaching ESL and my two LT positions have been in grade 2. I have absolutely no experience in anything above grade 3. I am so happy but so nervous.

Do any of you have any suggestions for websites with activities...reference books, guided reading chapter books for grade 5 ( I know I do not know their levels yet, but I would love recommendations of your favorite authors...) units, thematic units, anything.

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Jenn

Jenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Once you meet your students post with their levels of English proficiency are. Will you have a class of only ELLs or will it be a 5th grade ELL inclusion class? Or will it be pull-out?

In the meantime, go to everythingesl.net for a readable list of ESL terminology that an ESL teacher should be knowledgeable of. Also familiarize yourself with the state ESL standards and the regular ed grade-level standards.

Do you know what the students' native countries are? If the students are fairly new to schooling in the USA it would be helpful for you to have some background knowledge of how their educational system is set up.

Best of luck to you.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote