Help

Fifth Grade

"English"

>

MrTall

"English"
Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach fifth grade language arts and we have to do "English" or teach "English"

I have all english speaking students and they are very capable of speaking the english language...

Where do I start?????????????????????????? ??????? Any suggestions.

MrTall is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Grammar! At least, that's what I've always understood "english" as a subject to be. I could be wrong, we just have "language arts" in 5th grade here.
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

written English.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Typically this means WRITTEN English. Students in the 5th grade surely need instruction in this area, and lots of it.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

We call this language arts
Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They may be able to speak English, but too many of them have difficulties writing it properly. You should have a district course of study that will give you guidance on what is expected to be covered in 5th grade. You could find this information in your course of study for writing.

If for some reason something like this isn't available or you don't have access to one, check out the state standards for the 5th graders.

The following are topics we cover in 5th. How you teach them and how much time you take with each depends on the level of your kids. I teach a mostly gifted cluster this year, so I don't spend much time at all on some of these things. We just do a brief review.

*what a sentence is and isn't
*types of sentences
*sentence fragments/run-on sentences
*parts of speech (nouns, verbs/verb tenses, adjectives, adverbs, etc.)
*synonyms, antonyms, homonyms
*figurative language (although we do much of this in reading): personification, hyperboles, idioms, metaphors, similes
*types of writing: paragraphs, personal narratives, essays (expository writing), persuasive pieces, poetry
*steps of writing: prewriting, rough draft, revising/editing, proofreading (teach/review proofreading symbols), publishing/final copy

Hmm? I'm sure that's not all, but I can't think of anymore right now.

You could also check out some grammar/English workbooks that you can purchase for 5th grade at some teacher supply stores. Those could give you a good idea of what should/could be covered.

Last edited by trexteach; 08-29-2009 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: added something
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Alright...well I have located an English textbook and I was speaking with the 7-12th grade english teacher in the school and along with her assistance and the textbook...I have found some interesting things...

I am going to start with parts of speech and hopefully bore that to death...HAH...I found some good activities along with the textbook...
Thought that I should go with the steps of writing next...although it does seem like I should probably start with that...considering...they should know how to START writing before they actually write...

I have had my students write a few pieces so far and these are some of the endings I have got...

"...and that's all I have to say. Bye."

"...and I can't think of anything else to write. Okay. Bye-Bye."

How creative and so very-very classy. I think I just figured it out...I'll stop rambling...thank you everyone :-)

ajmm115

Start
Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Start with assessments; and get their attention while doing it.

Read a couple of high interest short stories and create some basic writing prompts and gather samples of their writing. That will give you and idea of how well they already write - sentence structure; grammar; paragraphing; spelling, etc. KEEP these for your records!

Do you have grammar books? - or reading anthologies? You didn't say.

And look at the board on this site titled Writing and Language Arts - specifically a posting by shortshortage around August 8. It has my weekly itinerary. That might give you some ideas.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

Old 08-29-2009, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do have grammar books.
I read the story on the first day and had them write an alternate ending to the book "A Bad Case of Stripes" and they seemed to really enjoy that. Once they finished, I photocopied their writing and then had them correct their spelling, punctuation, etc...from me fixing it and then handed it back for them to re-write...
Worked out fairly well, in my opinion...I also offered written feedback and if some students' were just horrific...we met one-on-one...
I will check out your post...thanks!

vanvic

Some thoughts..
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

-have you checked with the 6th grade teacher to see what he/she expects once the students get to him/her next year?
-You mentioned the endings .. "that's all bye etc" Why not have them find good endings in books or not-so-good ending and discuss what makes them a great ending or not. I do the same with good leads when we write. Everyone grabs a book and looks at the first sentence. Does it"grab" you? Would you keep reading? etc.
- if you have state testing, what types of ELA questions are on it that you might need to focus on?
vanvic is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

vanvic
Old 08-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All of those are good questions....and I have considered many of them...
I have NOT checked with the 6th teacher for writing, etc...because that would be ME...I teach them both...at the same time...however, I HAVE put in an e-mail with the 7th-12th grade english teacher and asked the very same questions...so that's at least been started.

I had them write an alternate ending on Friday after they looked over the endings of several Robert Munsch stories...it's pretty interesting...some of them just BOMB (really good!!) endings and STILL put the "Okay, bye!" and I just put a huge cross through it and wrote, "NO!!" Right/Wrong? Not 100% sure...but I told them NO MORE.

We DO have State testing, however, I have absolutely no idea what type of ELA questions are on there...I've never even seen one before.
I was in the vicinity during my student teaching when they were taking the tests...but according to my teacher, she was the only one who was allowed in the room at the time...so I just quietly left and didn't come in while they were testing...etc...
I so VERY badly wanted to peer over the shoulder of so many students just to see what types of questions they were being asked and just make mental images of it all...

I really do want to try that beginning part and see how it works for them. I think they would really enjoy it. I am also going to try that ending part out...and ask them what they think makes a good ending, etc...I am going to wait and hear back from the English teacher first...and see what she has to say about the subject.

Okay, that's all for now. Bye.