Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

A poll

>

jellydonut

A poll
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

1. What types of discipline/reward system do you use?

2. How would you rate it's effectiveness?

jellydonut is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 09-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Okay, you are going to HATE this....

I don't use one.
Every once in awhile I may have a child who I need to do something with, but it is usually very short term and designed for that child.

I have 20+ years experience in special education and about 1/3 of those years were middle-high school.

I actually enjoy the challenge (I was a very challenging child). So----- sorry I can't help you.

HUmmmm, maybe I'm somewhere between 1, 2, 3, Magic and Disciple with Love and Logic?
I prefer to think I have 'the look'.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Lol, Valone......
Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

SAME HERE!!!!

I expect the children to behave. And they do (for the most part). No sticker charts, no turning tags, no stoplights, no apple baskets or candy jars. When a child makes a choice to misbehave, s/he is spoken to about the choice and reminded about the rule.

This works for 99% of my students.

Last year, I had a couple of boys who were beyond this approach (or lack thereof). They ended up being referred to Special Ed. One has Aspberger's, and the other was classified Emotionally Disturbed. Those two needed more. And I provided it for them.

But truly.......especially at this pre-K level........less is more. Don't get caught up and bogged down with some involved behavior management system.
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Me three!

I believe in intrinsic rewards. I want the kids to choose the right behavior because they feel good when they do. I use time outs or (extremely rarely) a trip to the office for hitting or swearing. Luckily I hardly ever have to use these. I do not use color charts etc. Frankly, when I was student teaching I saw kids hide their folders instead of taking them home because they would get a "whooping" when they got home. I thought it was so unfair that a red color would get one child physically punished (at home) while another child would get off light at home. I decided then that I would handle discipline at school as much as possible. Of course I do tell parents about serious issues like hitting.

I set a very calm, organized tone in the classroom. My expectations are simple and clear. The kids feel secure and respond well.
happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote

shoegrl

I love...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"The Look." So far thats all that has been needed.

I implemented a "Sparkle jar" at the beginning of the year last year. It was my 1st year teaching and really didn't know what to do.

If the kids listened really good, cleaned nice, followed the rules in the hallway, had a good rest time, they would get a sparkle in the jar. I really hyped up the fact that good listening earned them a sparkle. When it was full, I think we had a pajama day and the other reward was a movie party. I only had to fill the jar up twice, and by November they were good as gold. They actually forgot about them until the class next door had to borrow it in April.

This year, nothing has been needed, but if I down more than a bottle of wine a night I may need to dig out the sparkle jar again.

I know some teachers like to do a reward system, some don't. I kinda think that it just depends on the mix of kids that year and the teachers own style.

Hope I helped.

shoegrl is offline   Reply With Quote

ateacch

Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with no system. In the real world, which we are preparing them for, they need to learn to do what is right.
ateacch is offline   Reply With Quote

classyteach

Wow!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I never thought there would be anyone else who didn't really use a system! Count me in on that one....occasionally I have the child that acts up...they get warned then removed from the group to sit in a chair or have a time-out type thing. Otherwise, it's notes home if the child is consistently having issues..cause at this age especially it is a joint effort...parents must reinforce at home. This works real well for me. I really use the first few days to really model and practice behavior and what is expected. But afterall, they are 3 and 4 and will have their moments/days!
classyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

fredflintston

Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't use one either. To me it's all a learning experience in pre-k and it's up to me to teach them how to behave in school and this is best done as a pp mentioned - intrinisic reward. If you do something good I may say kiss your brain or kiss your heart and many days that is just as good as candy or a reward. I do have time outs when necessary. When they do something really good - like yesterday they totally amazed me for a fire drill and we were the first kids out and the quietest group in my pre-k through 3rd grade wing so I had to give them Smarties candy after lunch. Otherwise they are just expected to behave in a manner that is appropriate for the classroom.
fredflintston is offline   Reply With Quote

coppsma

self discipline is expected
Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Usually my kids do well with self discipline. I post the class rules and we review them during circle time, at least weekly. If they are getting a little too rambuncious I might call their attention to the set of rule and ask which rules are they forgetting about.I also be sure to acknowledge the students that help their classmates to remember to follow the rules.

In the past I have done individual charts with stickers. At the end of the month the "rewards" (I gave 3) were some classroom item that we had worked on as a group such as the Chinese dragon that was hanging from the ceiling. What I found with that system was that the same kids were always on task and well behaved and the ones that were always behind felt defeated before they began.
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

OMG! It is so nice to know that I am not alone in not having a discipline system!! There has been a part of me that thought I was a "bad" teacher for not having some big old chart or something posted on my wall, but I truly HATE rewarding children for something that they are supposed to do. The Discipline Without Stress book is awesome and fits so well with my beliefs. It really makes children think about themselves and their choices. There is no shaming involved and my students behave the same with me as they do everyone else. I don't have to frighten them into behaving. Wow. I am just so glad that I read this post. I really thought I was "odd" in not having a "system."

Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

jellydonut

Wow!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Your responses are amazing to me and something I didn't expect! I actually have not been using one either. I use the time out chair occassionally. This is my first year teaching pre-k and I just felt like I needed some type of "reward system". Very Interesting! Makes me feel like I'm not so far off after all!

Thanks so much for all your responses!
jellydonut is offline   Reply With Quote

cath

Old 08-27-2010, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Glad to see there's a few of us on the same page! Totally disagree with a reward system. Keep it up!
cath is offline   Reply With Quote