Help

ESL/LEP

Adult ESL lesson format

>

CaNiKi

Adult ESL lesson format
Old 09-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone had a lesson plan format that worked for them for teaching adult ESL. I am only teaching for two hours/ two times a week. I was thinking of having one theme to cover each week (so about four classroom hours for each theme). Any help would be appreciated!

CaNiKi is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I volunteer-taught Adult ESL three times a week for one hour (ish) each time.
I used a template similar to one for my students...just because they are older does not mean the goals should change. They want to learn English, so look for your state's standards for either english/language arts OR fine arts/foreign language. The nformat your lessosn to fit them.

Teacher:
Date:
Theme: (Put in your theme of the week.)
Long Term Goal: (What would you like to achieve in the long run?)
Short Term Goals:
1. The student will...(define present tense verbs through example with 85% accuracy.)
2. The student will...(create a poster showing the conjugation of a present tense verb as an individual.)
3. The student will...(present the poster to the other students using the second language with 80% accuracy or better.)
Correlating Standards: (Check your state standards for ELA or Foreign Language.
Introduction: (Warm-up or introduction to the lesson, a small activity that gives the adults a taste of what's next, and helps to GIVE them some background knowledge to work with.)
Lesson: (Plan it out in steps and increments, using as much detail in your plan as possible.)
Homework and Assessment: (This is up to you..I don't know what your class requires. But in my experience, the adults really liked to see the progress they could make by seeing the results of assessments.)
Differentiation: (Are there any adults that may need something extra to learn? Perhaps more repetition, the information in print, etc. could help them.)
Extensions: (Suggestions to the adults in both their native and second language for things that may help them practice, such as: trips to the store, speaking to their neighbors, etc. These can definitely be fit to the lesson.)
Review: (Reflection of how the lesson went, and if you would like to do it again; notes for changes, etc.)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

longan2

lesson plans
Old 11-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here's a web site for adult ESL that I have used. It's pretty organized and allows you to share/use lesson plans and create your own using the online format. Hope it helps!

http://www.otan.us/
longan2 is offline   Reply With Quote